Question Details
by lifeline - May 19, 2009
1.12 year old feline with chronic nasal discharge. No response to use of antibiotics. crypto titres are negative.
Tonge: dark red with excessive moistness
Pulse is strong to wiry.What herbs can be used.
2. Dose for renshen for use in gestational diabetes in pregnant women.. You had give that to my wife and she did exceptionally .
3. 12year old dachshund. Diganosed with cushings.
Weak but rapid pulse. Deep purple tongue and frothy coating. Has responded to Long Dan Xie Gan tan, by decrease in the water intake. He is on the LDXGT since April 25/09. How long can he be on this safely and when would we consider Men Dong Tong or any other suggestions.
Thanks
Kam
Replies
by naturevet
May 19, 2009
Hi Kam,

You sure pack a lot into a question. Here goes:
1. A dark red wet tongue with forceful pulses suggests Damp Heat to me. Given the rhinitis, San Ren Tang is a possible consideration, and is safe enough to be almost never wrong in a cat. I'd try that first. It's mild compared to that tongue description, but still potentially strong enough to do the job
2. For Ren Shen in pregnancy, I think you can look at 1 to 2 spoons BID to TID of the granular extract. Or take it in a more balanced form, like Liu Jun Zi Tang. If you do that, bump the dose up to three spoons twice daily
3. I would try Si Miao San and a low carb diet, raw preferred. It can be used indefinitely, as long as it's indicated by pulse, tongue, symptoms and a good response to treatment. In fact, that's true for any formula. I've never used the Yin tonic approach successfully for Cushing's.

Good luck!

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply