Question Details
Huo Xiang Zheng Qi Wan
by marneemadsen - May 19, 2009
Hi Steve and friends,
I was wondering how this formula would fit in to our discussion of the three Yang layers and Wind invasions?

Cheers,
Marnee
Replies
by bannink
May 19, 2009
Hi Marnee! Nice question!

My understanding would be this would fit into a Tai Yang invasion as it clears wind/cold/(damp) and wind,cold are the pathogens that invade the tai yang. Not sure if there are additional implications to the yang ming layer because of the internal damp draining from the ST but I think not.

That is my guess. Am I close Steve?

-Erin
by naturevet
May 19, 2009
Yes, that's right. Huo Xiang Zheng Qi San is characterized as a Wind invasion or Tai Yang formula, which may seem a little wierd given its GI effects. Two things may help explain that:
1. It's also good for muscle aches and pains accompanying acute GI problems. These aches are more familiar symptoms of Wind invasion
2.Wei Qi is distributed not just along the skin, but also along the GI lining, according to the classics. So, some formulas that expel Wei Qi invading pathogens actually act as much internally as externally. This is actually true for a lot of classic Wind Cold formulas. For example, Gui Zhi Tang or Cinnamon Decoction is used for back pain, but is able to be modified to treat abdominal disorders.
So in retrospect, it's not as strange as it might seem.

Yang Ming formulas clear Heat and are bitter, whereas aromatic formulas expel Wind from the Tai Yang. Huo Xiang is actually Patchouli, which most people realize is very fragrant. So that fact alone would tell you it's not a Yang Ming formula.

Anyway, blah, blah, blah. Aren't you glad you asked?

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply