Question Details
Lymphoma In A Cat
by JULIE SCHELL - May 24, 2009
Hello, A cat I am working with has Suspect lymphoid neoplasia involving large granular lymphocytes based on ultrasound and fine needle aspirate of intestinal mass/ lymph node. A palpable mass in his abdomen is present that is consistent with lymph node on ultrasound. I currently have him on Si Miao San due to signs of Qi deficiency and heat. (ie he had fever, rapid pulses, normal tongue color, decreased appetite, weight loss, mild anemia). I want to start acupuncture as well and will focus on ST36 and Sp6 and GV14. Any other suggestions for herbal treatments/ acupuncture would be much appreciated. Thank you! Julie
Replies
by JULIE SCHELL
May 24, 2009
ps. I also am starting this cat on home made food and fatty acids and oral Vitamin A at a dose of 700 IU per pound per day. Julie
by naturevet
May 24, 2009
Hmmm. Apart from that fever, it sounds like a deficiency case. Was the fever based on body temperature or his temperature preferences? What were his preferences? Was he chilly?

Palpable abdominal masses were interpreted as Blood stasis by the Nan Jing. It was felt that if you could palpate the boundaries of a mass intra-abdominally, it couldn't be anything but Blood stasis. In that case, then, something depending on the preferences of the cat, you could think of Ge Xia Zhu Yu Tang (cat is hot) or Shao Fu Zhu Yu Tang (cat is cold). The latter is not a bad choice, actually, given the deficient picture. I've used it for lymphadenopathy in dogs secondary to perianal adenocarcinoma and have seen it relieve secondary large bowel obstruction. So if the owner reports your acupuncture treatment worked, it's a consideration.

The last idea I have depends on whether you've ruled out infection as a cause of the lymphadenopathy. If not, then Bu Zhong Yi Qi Tang is an option. It's a 'mover' and a tonic, is an immune and appetite stimulant, and stimulates the bone marrow to address the anemia. So it's got a lot going for it biochemically. If infection hasn't been ruled out, then I'd give it a try.

All the best,

Steve
by JULIE SCHELL
May 24, 2009
Thank you Steve! I definitely don't think infection is involved in this cat- his hyperthermia is most likely a paraneoplastic sign due to his LGL intestinal lymhpoma. Besides, he's been on IV ampicillin and IV fluids and still has fever. Thus, instead of BZYQT I'll try the Ge Xia Zhu Yu Tang because his pulses are too rapid to be considered Cold. The cat doesn't seek out heat or cool areas though, so its hard to tell based on his behaviour. I will continue on Si Miao San as well because we started this cat on prednisone (for additional palliation and tumor shrinkage). (The owner doesn't want to do chemotherapy and neither do I- it would have been a CHOP protocol which has very poor prognosis anyway). LGL lymphoma is poorly treatable with Western medicine. We're going with Acupuncture, herbs and small dose prednisone. I'll wean him down off the pred as soon as his appetite returns. I guess another formula for
Blood Stasis could be Xue Fu Zhu Yu Tang? But I agree- trying the GXZYT is a great idea. Thank you very much. I'll let you know how this cat does. Julie
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply