Question Details
Continuing Saga Of Seizuring Bichon
by lsargent - May 24, 2009
Just an update on the bichon that I had contacted Steve about four months ago. I saw him yesterday and he has been seizure free for two months while continuing on his meds of pheno and KBr as well as Zhi Bai Di Huang Wan. Currently his dose was 1/4 tsp once daily as I was cautious of causing any type of reaction, which didn't come and now we are starting twice daily dosing. He is on a grain-free diet and the reason for her return is that he is suddenly ravenous and she is afraid of feeding him too much and gaining weight. I suggested that she increase the lightly steamed vegetables as a snack.
His tongue is lavender with a white coating, but not swollen and his pulses are slow, deeper on the left than the right and I was wondering if we are not clearing the Damp enough but with the increased dose should drain it gently? Also, his skin is lightly pink but whenever he eats something from a can, meat or veggies, his skin goes beet red and pruritic.
The owner is happy with the outcome and would like to eventually get off the KBr as it is very expensive. Neither one of us is daring enough to stop it cold turkey!
Thanks for the assistance and I hope you can find the question in this volume!

Lois Sargent, DVM
Replies
by naturevet
May 24, 2009
Hi Lois,

That skin redness and itch in response to diet makes me (naturally, as I'm sure it does you, too) think of food allergies. Food allergies plus epilepsy makes me think of Ban Xia Bai Zhu Tian Ma Tang and a Spleen deficiency. The appetite makes me think of Heat of some sort. Put the two together, and I wonder about Damp Heat due to Spleen deficiency. So another option is just to try Si Miao San, San Ren Tang, or even Long Dan Xie Gan Tang. With the latter, though, there is no digestive support. So you've got lots of options, there, to try out, with a good deal of overlap between them that should mean, to some extent, you can just try whichever of them you have on the shelf.

I think this notion of dealing with Damp Heat fits with your general perception of things, too, by the sounds of it. Hopefully this sounds like constructive advice, then. Let us know how it turns out!

Steve

Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply