Question Details
Vegetarian Diet
by bannink - May 25, 2009
Hi Steve,

Do you happen to have a low glycemic index vegetarian diet recipe that you have used for dogs? I am looking for one for a cancer patient of mine. Thanks for any thoughts.

Erin
Replies
by naturevet
May 25, 2009
Hi Erin,

I don't have a specific vegetarian diet, no. I imagine you could create one using those various websites that are out there. I guess soy would be the ideal protein source given its amino acid profile, high protein content, and low carb content. You could probably just sub in soy protein (beans, tofu, etc.) for the meat in that standard recipe we use and come out okay. Essentially, our home-cooked recipe guidelines are based on the Paleolithic diet in the appendix on home-cooked diets in the Manual of Natural Veterinary Medicine (Mosby 2003). If you'd like us to email you a copy, let Quinne know at ehvclinic@gmail.com

How do you like the site, by the way? I incorporated your suggestion, as you can see, and then some!

Steve
by bannink
May 25, 2009
Thanks Steve,

I do have the recipe from the Manual of Natural Vet Med. I just wanted to make sure you didn't have anything more specific. I appreciate your thoughts on the protein source.

I love the forum. It has been a great learning tool. Seeing how to apply TCM philosophy to so many cases and your, as always, brilliant explanations have really helped in learning how to better think though especially the tough cases. I have already supplemented my notes with information from the forum! Thank you for all the time and expertise that you so openly share with all of us! We are very fortunate that you have made yourself so accessible. This almost instantaneous feedback is truly invaluable.

Also, I was very happy to see you liked my suggestion and incorporated it so quickly! What service! I thought my idea was great and have found it quite useful!!!

-E
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply