Question Details
Seizure Dog
by Cathy L. - May 25, 2009
Hi Steve-

This is re: a seizure case you helped w/ last yr; an 11 yr old Golden w/ infrequent grand mal seizures for yrs. Several formulas have not changed his seizure frequency, but the intensity and length were improved. The most recent herb I've used w/ him is Ding Xian Wan, since 4/27. He had a GI
episode 5/19 w/ nausea, sl. soft stool, abd. discomfort. Recovered uneventfully, rDVM put him on Cephalexin for possible UTI. On 5/24 he had a very bad cluster of seizures and was hospitalized at the local university.He was heavily sedated w/ valium and phenobarb, then they planned oral Pb (which the owner had declined previously dT his relatively mild and infrequent seizures). This dog has never clustered before. He's had Ceph several X previously, as he has a stoma in his urethra from a stuck urolith yrs ago. ( no issues w/ Ceph previously). He tends towards blood and yin def.

So I'm trying to figure out if the DXW has somehow predisposed him to this bad cluster? It treats liver wind, phlegm, protects yin, directs qi downward. Ceph's cooling effects don't seem related. Recent GI wind?

Thanks!!

:)Cathy L.

Replies
by naturevet
May 25, 2009
Hi Cathy,

Since the original version of Ding Xian Wan is toxic, I'm guessing you're using a modification in order to have been able to purchase it in the US. So I'm not entirely sure what's in it, given it must be a modification. In general, though, formulas that deal with Phlegm are quite drying, and can easily aggravate a Blood or Yin deficiency. I take it you've already tried Tian Ma Gou Teng Yin, the main anticonvulsant formula for a Yin or Blood deficient animal? If so, what else have you tried? Can you refresh my memory as to pulse, tongue, active points, etc.? Then I might be able to help further...

Steve

Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply