Question Details
Excess Hunger Post-ictal
by
Dear Steve,

I have had a couple of epileptic patients with the symptom of excess hunger after their seizures and wondered what it meant from a TCM perspective. The current patient is a 3-year-old cat who has been doing great with acupuncture, but is hungry all the time, now, not just after seizures (in fact no seizures since starting acupuncture and Tian Ma Gou Teng Yin). He had a tendency to be skittish, but is much better. I did change him to a hypoallergenic diet (which he loves) and stopped greenie treats. Was wondering if it's a response to the more limited diet, or some other manifestation of ST heat or excess LV, although his stools are great and while he used to vomit periodically, he's not vomiting anymore.

Thanks
Replies
by naturevet
November 14, 2008
Excess hunger is a sign of heat, so it fits epilepsy, where the cause is often either Damp Heat or some form of Yin deficiency. Given that this cat responded to TMGTY, it sounds like it is more Yin deficient. In this case, then, Yi Guan Jian or Zhi Bai Di Huang Wan might provide additional Yin tonification and cooling properties. With vomiting as part of the history, I would wonder about YGJ.

Hope that helps...
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply