Question Details
Seizures, Diarrhea, UTI's And Hypothyroidism In A Dog
by
One of the cases you helped me with was Savanah Bodt a 16 year old FS mixed breed K9. Savanah has a history of seizures, migranes, chronic UTIs, diarrhea and hypothyroidism. Her latest diagnosis of a brain tumor was not confirmed by a CT scan but was based on her clinical symptoms (lethargy, head tilt, head pressing) and response to steroids. Following the steroid administration, the owner noted that Savanah would wake up panting at 4:30 am every day. Savanah is currently on Zhi Bai Di Huang Wan BID and Chai Hu Jia Long Gu Mu Li Tang BID. The owner has noticed that Savanah has recently become more lethargic and is not as energetic as she was after being initially put on the steroids and herbal formulas. Her appetite is ravenous, she is drinking a lot and has also started eating her feces. On exam, her pulse seems deeper and her tongue is very red. My question is should I switch her to another heat clearing herb next (like Tian Wang Bu Xin Dan) or should I try uping her current herb dose to TID?
Replies
by naturevet
November 22, 2008
The eating of feces is a clear sign the Spleen is suffering. Sounds like she has lots of Damp Heat side effects from the pred as well. That would only happen if you were really dealing with Spleen deficiency with secondary Damp Heat. So I would change things around to SMS plus ZBDHW or SMS plus XCHT, depending on if you're still finding active GB points or not. That should correct the coprophagy, perk her up, and help mitigate the pred. Time to probably find the lowest required pred dose, too. You could do that first if you wanted to....but I can see you having to address the Spleen here.
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply