Question Details
Persistent Itch With Scabs In A Cat
by
Hi Steve,

You were trying Qing Ying Tang for Tessa and her nasty skin lesions by her ears and asked us to keep you updated regarding her progress. Last night a huge chunk of the scab got bumped off and it looks very good underneath. The area is much drier and quite crusty. It has not grown but has not diminished in size. She is somewhat lethargic but it may be the collar is making her unhappy and somewhat sedate. Her fur is indeed quite dry. She is eating and drinking and using her litter as normal. Please let us know if we should carry on or if you think she should move to the steroids.
Replies
by naturevet
March 11, 2009
Let's try a brief course of steroids at an anti-inflammatory dose: 5 mg tab, 1/2 tab bid for 5 days, then taper to lowest effective dose. When tapering, cut the dose 50% at a time, then use each new dose for 5 to seven days before lowering again.

If things are not improved by Monday, or seem at all worse, we may need to do some diagnostic testing. Hopefully it won't come to that. Continue the other meds for now.
by
March 11, 2009
Last night a huge chunk of the scab got bumped off and it looks very good underneath. It was hard to tell if the scab was a scab or the actual skin not healing. I think given this new identification we are probably okay to follow the original course of treatment and if by Monday we don’t see it almost resolved I can let you know. Thanks for being such a great vet! We do appreciate you.
by
March 28, 2009
Hi Steve!

Hope all is well. Just wanted to ask when we should stop the Qing Ying Tang Liquid for Tessa? Her face continues to heal rapidly. Her left side is all healed and most of the fur has grown back in…the right side which was much bigger is completely healed over and the fur is just starting to come back.

Her spirits are good. Her coat feels a bit dry and I wondered if that was a sign that she should discontinue the liquid. If not, we can certainly continue…we have a good routine and she doesn’t seem to mind it that much! She started on this formula on March 9th. Just let me know please and thanks……

Thanks for taking such good care of her!

by naturevet
March 30, 2009
Once there is no sign of any problem, then you should be able to wean off the herbs. The coat dryness is more likely to be remedied by Qing Ying Tang than to cause it, as the formula improves cutaneous blood flow. But it is a sign that maybe she needs more essential fatty acids in her diet. What is she eating again?
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply