Question Details
Liver And Urinary Case
by
Hey Steve hope your well, I have a case that I really neeed help with.
This is a 12 year ild beagle mix female spayed . two year history of recurring bouts of panting , restless , ravenous, vomit bile, frequent urination-accidents in house. Two years ago she was worked up- low dose dex negative , liver enzymes elevated-alkphos 256, alt 685, ggt 18, chol and platletr normal, multiple urine cultures negative, ultrasound liver- with biopsy multifocal mild glycogen like hepatocellular vacuolization -compatible with glycogenosis of steroid hepatopathy or idiopathic vacuolar hepatopathy.He was also told the ultrasound of the bladder showed thickening of the urethra, they tryed amitipitlyine and antibiotics but the problem cycles back no matter what they do. The owner changer the diet to an all vegetarian diet and the symptoms imporved significantly for 6- 8 months. He has found that changing food will set off an episode but it can occur with out a diet change. The dog lives betwwen him and his ex wife, they live close but share him.

I started to see him in January end of. Sweet, active with T= lavender , big little dry, pulse + wiry litlle thin ,
GB 34 softens wiryness
storm anixety-shakes and hidesin closet
energy good, appetite ravenous when urine symptoms return, then normal appetite when urine is ok again.
At one point owner thought exercise or increased activity brought on the episodes, but last one not associated with activity

They dont want acup dt $$$ , Blood Alkphos had increased to 719 , alt 359. rest normal I started on XCHT < GEI Xiao ZHu Yu Tang 50:50 mix and cantharis, then he had bad episode over weekend 3 days after starting this and went to the emergency clinic ,they couldnt culture the urine because he went on the floor , so they stated clavamox and he improved in 24 hours I ran a culture 1 week after he was off which was negative.
Added probiotic for diarrhea from antibiotic
While on the antibiotic he had an episode that resolved without any changes to meds.
3 weeks later I changedmix to Si Maio San /Gei xiao Zhu Yu Tang 50:50 mix. repeat urine culture negative , U/A normal sg 1.035
improved urination freq, but still ravenous, vomiting ;added milk thistle 400 mg daily, increased si maio san to 70 % and gei xiao zhu yu to 30 % and increased does to 1/2 bid., off antibitics seemed to do well for a few weeks.

Then he was leaking urine where he slept not staining, still ravenous, added small dose sou Quan wan . Then she stopped urinating , vomited and had a episode of collapse in the yard , down for 30 sec then ok. we stopped all meds for two days , exam normal except lethargis-repeated blood- Liver improved- alkphos 589 from 719 and but alt is 446 was 359. rest normal.
two days recovered well and looked normal changed mix to . Mix: Schisandra compound 10% Sia maio 40% Gei Xia Zhu Yu 30 %, added Hepatrophin pmg and milk thistle for liver . Did great for 10 days , no symtoms at all.

Then started Freq urination vomited blie, ravenous , urine can be small freq orlarger amts. still active alert. not temp preference
pulse has stayed wiry, tonuge lavender little dry. Seems like she cycles no matter what we do. The obvious thought is cushings disease= damp heatI. suspect she has been precushing for a while and this would connect her liver with the urine signs but the signs are so inconsistent ? The alkphos has been reducing so we are making some progress but the alt is up (446). The owners are fed up dont want to run any more tests . I put her on urinary support formula today .

I was thinking an obstruction in the middle jiao with damp heat draining down. I also considered Heart heat leading to bladder signsand considered Dao Chi San .

What do you think any herbs or direction ???
Replies
by naturevet
March 17, 2009
One combination I would go with is XCHT plus SMS. It's usually Dampness or even Phlegm that obstructs the TB. Using both together might give the completeness of improvement you're looking for. SMS also has the anti-hepatopathy and urinary anti-inflammatory effects pharmacologically, that make it a good choice. You could roll milk thistle into the mix as well, for further protection of the liver from oxidation.

That's what I would try, anyway.

Good luck!
by Cathy L.
August 19, 2009
Hi Steve-

I have a general question, which I'm sure is very basic, but I'll ask anyway!! I seem to have several cases (mostly dogs)for which we've reversed almost all their damp heat, and blood def signs are popping up. Some have blood def symptoms enough that I feel I need to treat (anxiety, noise sensitivity, territorial behavior), but they have enough lingering damp heat (or recurrent signs this time of yr)that I think I'm not done there yet, either.

I never quite sure what to do w/ these dogs; using damp heat formulas alone seems to worsen their blood def signs, but I hate to use a straight blood tonifier and make their damp heat worse.

Thanks,

:)Cathy L.
by naturevet
August 20, 2009
Hi Cathy,

This is common, and we address it by, first and foremost, using anti-Damp Heat anti-Blood deficient diets, the best of which are raw or home-cooked.

If you used Si Miao San, you can simply add about 20g of Dang Gui per 100g of SMS, to counterbalance the strong drying effect of the formula. If a dog is Yin deficient, you can use SMS and ZBDHW simultaneously. Those are just a couple of options. Diet change is the ultimate cure for many of them.

Steve
by Cathy L.
September 12, 2010
Hey Steve,

My next perplexing case is a 12 yr old Golden retr. He has a hx of bladder stones, which led the rDVM to perform a urethrostomy when he could not dislodge them from the urethra (~5 yrs ago). Recurrent UTI's prior to surgery and since, which promted her to see me. Also seizures.

I had NO luck treating his seizures, so she eventually started PB, which has been 100% effective. (Can you briefly review the basics of assigning a Chinese action to a western drug? I still don't understand that concept very well!).

For the last yr, he's been on PGZYT (hx of no dysuria w/ his UTI's, but hematuria), GPT (pale tongue, thinner pulse, recently Alkp 300), ZBDHW/BWDHW (hearing loss, tires and walks, better after rest, mild rear end pain, decreased USG).

Since this protocol, his UTI's have dramatically reduced (a couple this yr). The last one (August) did cause him to strain a bit, so I wondered if he could be moving out of bladder qi stasis and creating some damp heat? She also feels he's more heat intolerant lately.

PE on 9/9:

-abdominal distension (chronic, unchanged)
-poodle-sized lipoma in flank
-T: sl pale, not esp. wet
-P: deep, slower, some tone

With the persistent pot belly, deep pulse, paler tongue, rear end pain and another UTI, I figured I needed some help, even tho' the owner feels he's doing really well for his age.

I assume he's an early Cushing's dog; no PU/PD or polyphagia yet.

So I'm thinking:

1)Qi stasis bladder..now some damp heat?

2)Damp heat (mostly damp)

3)Kid qi def

4)Blood def

I'm sure the GPT was too heavy for him, altho' he's on a very low dose, and his damp signs are ~ the same- wondered about DGSYS?

And perhaps DHJST for his kidney signs?

Thanks,

:)Cathy

by naturevet
September 12, 2010
Hmmm. Interesting and complicated. Maybe I've got this on the brain, but urinary obstuction, seizures, abdominal distention, heat intolerance, and a deep pulse put me in mind of the dog having a Jue Yin pathogen/Excess. There are several formulas, depending on the exact manifestation: Wu Mei Wan for seizures, and we're theorizing Bu Zhong Yi Qi Tang for obstructive urinary patterns. It doesn't drain Damp, but addresses Stasis in the lower burner causing dysuria. It's not a Damp draining formula, however. With a poodle on the dog in lipoma form, that's a glaring incompatibility. But if the dog is otherwise not obese, but just distended, it may help.

Another option compatible with this explanation is just good ol' Saw Palmetto. The appearance of blood in the urine and the former lack of inflammtion symptoms is consistent with BZYQT too, by the way. Given the dog's tolerance for other tonics, I'd be tempted to give it a try.

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply