Question Details
Unable To Walk In A Dog
by cellohood - March 24, 2017    View Case Report
Hi, I'll be updating Patchy's case shortly. In a nutshell, 17 yr old F/S GSHP mix. History of cutaneous mast cell tumors, recurrent pancreatitis w/ elevated hepatic values, Stage 2 chronic kidney disease. Most recently she has become urinary incontinent, has gastric reflux & continues to lose weight. Last week she acutely could not stand on her own. Her xrays look remarkable for her age, labs show no changes in her renal or hepatic values but her recurrent E. coli urinary tract infection is back. Her mobility has improved with a chiro adjustment & acupuncture. At her last visit: pulses wiry, tongue pale pink, heat & pain at BL 23. Her pulses responded immediately to BL 17, BL 40 & ST 36. She has been on Bu Gan Tang & You Gui Wan. I suspect her herbs need to be changed to fit a Blood stasis (or Yang Mind deficiency-how do I tell the difference) but I'm not sure what the best option is. She was on Xue Fu Zhu Yu Tang years ago & did well-would that be a reasonable option?
Thanks again! Really enjoyed your recent lectures in Vancouver!!
Replies
by naturevet
March 30, 2017
Hi Kathy,

The collection of internal medical complaints suggest either Yi Guan Jian or Xiao Chai Hu Tang as treatments. If you've been tonifying her, and the paralysis appeared anyway, then maybe we need to try the Shao Yang approach. A deep wiry pulse would fit that.

The other possibility, given the response to your acupuncture points, might be a wind invasion secondary to Blood deficiency. That would call for Du Huo Ji Sheng Tang. If you saw improvements on the tonics before this happened, that might be the next step for the dog.

If you saw no benefits of tonics, I'd wonder about Xiao Chai Hu Tang, or Shen Tong Zhu Yu Tang. The latter doesn't often work in dogs, but fits the points.

Hopefully that is enough information to suss out what to try next

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply