Question Details
Recurrent Cystitis In A Cat
by Dreudog - March 27, 2017    View Case Report
This cat is an 11 year old SF DMH.

History:

- chronic recurrent cystitis; some dT UTI (cultured). She has hematuria, dysuria. Echo and Xray negative. UA's typically showed struvite crystalluria prior to S/O diet, hematuria, bacteria if UTI. She also apparently had uroliths dissolved by diet few years ago. Chronic hair pulling, nonseasonal. Recurrent URI.

On exam, she was crabby, had a deeper pulse, no obvious intestine thickening.

So I sent her first w/ Si miao san. She developed a UTI 2 weeks into the herb- may have been completely unrelated, but as she'd been doing OK for a while, we stopped. Next was San ren tang and we started experimenting w/ hypoallergenic foods. On rotating venison, rabbit and work every 2 weeks, her vomiting was greatly improved, hair puling same. She had another bladder flareup 2 weeks into SRT, but we continued for 8 weeks total, at which time the cat was refusing herb in her food.

She seems to qualify for you "multiple areas of epithelial inflammation" (damp heat), yes? Should we try the SRT again, maybe topically, or look to another herb?

Thnx, Steve.

Cathy L
Replies
by naturevet
April 4, 2017
Hi Cathy,

You've tried two good Damp Heat strategies there. If SRT didn't work over a couple of months, I don't know that it will.

The response to diet definitely says Spleen deficiency. The crabbiness, hair pulling and deep wiry pulse may say Liver. You could try Xiao Yao San. If stress is playing a role in the cystitis, it should help. If you have access to Jia Wei Xiao Yao San, that can address cystitis per se.

Another option is Dang Gui Shao Yao San. It also supports the Spleen and addresses recurrent cystitis. It doesn't capture the hair pulling and attitude as much, though.

All told, I think you'd get somewhere with Xiao Yao San, so if you have that on your shelf right now, maybe start there, and if the cystitis is still happening, consider the 'Jia Wei' form

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply