Question Details
Hypothyroidism In A Dog
by jschell - March 28, 2017    View Case Report
Hello!
I have only been able to improve Buddy Stevenson's thyroid from 10 to 12 with one month of Dan Gui Shao Yao San and Bu Gan Tang formulas used at 1.5 teaspoon twice daily. He is a 43kg yellow lab mixed breed, overweight, neutered male who is 5.5 years old.
He presented with Dampness, and Blood/Qi Deficiency Hypothyroidism confirmed via Thyroid Profile Analysis.

Should I continue with these formulas and recheck T4 in another month? Or increase the dose?

Thank you!
Julie
Replies
by naturevet
April 4, 2017
Hi Julie,

A month might be too soon to notice a difference. The goal is to subside any inflammation in the thyroid hampering hormone production, and that can take longer to shut down. I guess I'd wait a bit. The dose should be okay. As long as it edges up, you're on the right track. I find a homemade low-starch diet can expedite improvements as well, or a commercial raw diet, or even a freeze-dried diet

Steve
by jschell
April 4, 2017
Thank you very much Steve! I will continue with BGT and DGSYS and recheck in another month!

very exciting as this is my first case of treating Hypothyroidism with herbs/diet/acupuncture without added Synthroid:)

Thanks again! I'll post updates!
Julie
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply