Question Details
Cannabis - Where Are We At In Canada?
by CorinneC - April 1, 2017
Are any other practitioners recommending cannabis oil and having success? I have been recommending it but have since found out from the ABVMA that I am not allowed to do so. My osteosarcoma patients have managed months instead of weeks on it. My arthritic cases are happier and more mobile than I can get them on herbs alone. Just want to see if anyone else is having this success?
Replies
by jschell
April 4, 2017
Hello Corinne! I loved it for my seizure and brain tumor patients but now cannot get it across the boarder. I was shipping it from www.wellpetdispensary.com by having the owner order it online from them.

But, now it is not admitted into the country and the orders are shipped back to Dr Silver.

Maybe when Trudeau legalizes marijuana the ABVMA will relax their protocols on cannibus oil. I heard Canada allows marijuana as of April 20, 2017??
So annoying.
Julie
by CorinneC
April 4, 2017
Hi Julie! Have you had any experience with hempandbone.ca?
by jschell
April 19, 2017
Hi Corinne! I have not heard of them yet. I will check it out. Thank you.

I'm not sure what is happening politically right now re: Trudeau legalization process.

I called ABVMA office and Phil said that we theoretically are not allowed to sell marijuana (which includes CBD)
This is what ABVMA bylaw states:

"" Update June 2014: Veterinarians in Alberta are not permitted to authorize the purchase of marijuana for the treatment of animals.""

It is to protect pet owners from giving the unprocessed herb to their pet, which is toxic.

CBD oil is non-toxic, but since its not really legal to use it according to ABVMA, then I'm using other herbs to treat seizures/brain tumors.

I think soon CBD will be allowed by ABVMA, as soon as Canada legalizes it and especially as States like Colorado publish more research on its benefits.

Julie
by cellohood
April 29, 2017
Hi Julie & Corinne,
Welcome to the cannabis party! I have been using it in a majority of my patients for the past four years & have seen some amazing results.
Hemp & Bone is a fairly reliable source for a safe, quality controlled product. As the country moves closer to legalization it seems that products are becoming more difficult to get. Worse case scenario you can work with a local dispensary or compassion club to get safe products for your pets. If you need any help with dosing please feel free to contact me anytime!
Kathy Kramer
Vancouver Animal Wellness Hospital
604-738-4664
by TraceyH
May 15, 2017
In case you haven't heard, we can get a CBD/Hemp oil from Holistic Veterinary solutions. Also, interestingly, vets in Ontario are now allowed to prescribe Hemp oil. I mentioned this to ABVMA who were unaware of this and was told "they would look into it".

Tracey
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply