Question Details
Cranial Cruciate Tear In A Dog
by LJH - April 4, 2017    View Case Report
Hi Steve, Tusker is a 10yr M(N) 90 lb Belgian Shepherd with a one year history of on and off hind end lameness. After a slip on the ice in Dec/16 he became acutely lame RH. rDVM detected no drawer but X-rays showed T-L and mid lumbar spondylosis, bilateral coxofemoral osteoarthrosis, and radiographic lesions compatable with R chronic ACL rupture with moderate osteoarthrosis and more recent Left ACL rupture with minimal osteoarthrosis. Owners not looking at surgery . On exam in Jan/17 he was extremely sensitive R stifle points, and very sensitive BL-25,27,28, 54, GB-29,30. He is also a bit sensitive at BL-18,GB-41, and at GB 23 on the lateral thorax. Stifle was warm to the touch. He is generally heat intolerant and has always been a bit of a couch potato. Good appetite and digestion but no weight issues. Haircoat slightly dull and dry. Tongue sl. pale pink with lavender tinge, thin white coat. Pulse moderate depth, sl. thin and sl. wiry.He improved significantly with acupuncture BL-18, BL-25, BL-27, GB-30, BL-40, BL-60R, GB-34R. lasered RH LIV-3,8 SP-9 GB-33 and eyes of the knee as he is very needle sensitive and not unwilling to use his teeth. Started him on Traumeel/ Colocynthis, Ruta Grav,along with Benefit Hips and Knees and XFHMY and recently added Bu Gan Tang. I chose XFHMY instead of XHLD because of his overall heat intolerance, panting, and he has shown quite alot of improvement ( would be more but he took a romp in deep snow one day and set things back ) but watching your seminar on pain wondered if I should look at XHLD instead. Owners are going to take him for chiropractic but had to wait for better weather as the chiro is quite a drive away. He did improve with a couple of days of metacam after his snow follies and he is a bit worse in cold damp weather. Your thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated. Many thanks, Llewanda
Replies
by naturevet
April 5, 2017
Hi Llewanda,

I'd wonder about using the XHLD despite the heat intolerance. Shao Yang disharmony traps Yang on the interior, and may have been the cause of that. Now that you've released the Shao Yang, he may be able to tolerate XHLD, which is a much stronger anti-inflammatory and pain reliever than XFHMY

I'd give it a try.

Steve
by LJH
May 25, 2017
Hi Steve, This dog has been doing even better since the change to XHLD. No worsening of the heat intolerance. How long can he be kept on the formula? I know with the Aconite content it isn't something to be used for months on end. Once again many thanks for all your help, Llewanda
by naturevet
May 26, 2017
Hi Llewanda,

That's great news! We've encountered no long term issues with the Natural Path version of XHLD, if that's what you're using. It can be used indefinitely as long as it seems helpful

Steve
by LJH
January 4, 2018
Hi Steve,
This is the second dog I have questions about right now. He did well during the summer, though on XHLD along with Benefit Hips and Knees he started developing a hot spot on his tail( stopped the XHLD it cleared up, started XHLD again and it came back )so we put him back on XFHMY along with Benefit Hips and Knees. He continued to do well after that. In late Sept. he took a fall off the deck stairs while chasing another dog. Recovered well from that episode, but owners felt he was getting hot, seeking cool areas, and panting more especially at night and they stopped the XFHMY and kept on with Benefit Hips and Knees alone. The cool seeking and panting improved but he got much sorer again especially on Damp or cold/ Damp days so we restarted XFHMY only once daily in the morning. He did much better, and has been going for chiro which has helped his back . About a month ago he slipped on the owners truck ramp and since then has been having issues with the LH as well as RH, shifting weight and bringing both hind legs further forward under him. A couple of days on Metacam helped a lot. A couple of weeks ago when lying down he lifted his head and let out a screech. Appeared to be muscle spasm. His pulse has always been a bit thin, and currently is slightly weak, moderate depth and slightly wiry. His hair coat is also getting a bit drier. Tongue is sl. pale pink, sometimes slight lavender tinge, thin white coat. Pulse improves with GB points. Sensitive BL-18, Bl-19, BL- 22, 23, 25. When he tore his ACL’s initially I had tried Bu Gan Tang with Benefit Hips and Knees and XHLD but he got very restless at night, You Gui Wan made him too hot. Owner feels that right now he is starting to want to seek cool areas again, and panting more, despite getting XFHMY only once daily in the morning. Because he has done well on the Benefit Hips and Knees along with XFHMY in the past I didn’t want to necessarily stop the XFHMY entirely. I would like to nourish ,as well as move, Blood without worsening heat. I wondered if Zhi Bai Di Huang Wan might have possibilities as a Rehmannia Formula where You Gui Wan was too warming. Owners not keen to try Bu Gan Tang again. This dog responds well to acupuncture with Benefit Hips and Knees and XFHMY but I feel I am missing part of the equation at this point. Any suggestions you might have would be welcome. Thanks again, Llewanda
by naturevet
January 4, 2018
Hi Llewanda,

A simple approach might be to add perhaps 15g of Dang Gui to the XFHMY. That species is already in the formula, so there should be no surprises, but the addition will greatly increase Blood tonification.

I think that's the first thing I'd try, so you don't feel like you're rocking the boat

Another more vigorous tonifying option is to mix XCHT (Benefit Hips and Knees is just XCHT plus Qin Jiao) with Si Wu Tang in a 2:1 ratio. You can add about 12 or 15g of Qin Jiao to the resultant mixture. You can further add Turmeric (Jiang Huang, for example) to get some of the benefits of XHLD without the heat.

Hopefully that helps you out.

Steve
by LJH
January 5, 2018
Thank you for all your help. Will give that a try.
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply