Question Details
Cranial Cruciate Tear In A Dog
by LaurieJohnson - June 2, 2017    View Case Report
1.5 year old male neutered amstaff. long medical history thus far. I'll keep it brief. parvo (unsocialized, agoraphobia, fear of the dark)- chronic D- pyoderma- URI- pyodermas (fear aggression, reactivity) - gastroenteritis- chronic hives- histiocytomas- and now bilateral partial CCLRs--my pup (yay!)

I posted his case on the herbal course website prior to the cruciates. they are low grade partials now. surgeon thought we could monitor until he saw his xrays and is now recommending early intervention bilateral TPLO's because of his conformation. He's come a long way with his emotional rehab (relaxation protocol, herbs, supplements and 2 trainers), but any painful surgery requiring lengthy crating, lack of activity, will set him back tremendously in his behavior.

He's currently on Tendon/ligament formula as it seemed to fit with liver blood deficiency/liv Qi stagnation from long standing SP Qi def. His tongue never gets any warmer than bubble gum pink. He is very susceptible to heat (deficient heat) and tires easily. He's generally lazy and would sleep late every day if he could. Pulses are weak, thin most of the time. He now eats ~50% primal raw beef. Recently dx with food allergies (nutri scan) so now avoiding wheat, egg, sweet potato, turkey, quinoa, lentil and oats.

What are your thoughts on prolotherapy? Are there other supplements (western, eastern) I can add to help strengthen his weak ligmaments (had baytril as puppy)?

He's on standard process derm support, salmon oil, coconut oil, tendon/ligament, Go!- salmon based limited ingredient diet + primal raw and freeze dried beef, + around the clock counter conditioning for noise phobias, stranger danger, etc.

thank you!
Replies
by naturevet
June 6, 2017
Hi Laurie,

Tendon/Ligament formula doesn't appear to have anything in it to move Liver Qi per se. It only addresses Blood, and not in a particularly anti-inflammatory sort of way. So there is room there for additional herbal therapy, before you launch into surgery.

In general, I find there are three prongs to addressing an ACL tear: Tonify Blood (which you are doing); Move Blood (which you are doing, but not in an anti-inflammatory way); and Harmonize the Shao Yang, which is needed to help ensure Blood and Yang are properly distributed on the surface. This is the main thing you're missing.

If this were my case, I'd add in Xiao Chai Hu Tang (Minor Bupleurum), but only the one with Ginseng. In fact, I'd add 15g of Qin Jiao (large-leafed Gentian root) to 100g of concentrated granular extract, for extra help with pain and inflammation. You can source these through A Time to Heal Herbs, or buy the Kan extract (Benefit Hips and Knees). This step should help a lot, and prove calming to boot.

I'd also ensure I was using a Blood mover that had Curcuma or Turmeric in it. We use the modern version of Xiao Huo Luo Dan (Minor Invigorate the Collaterals) (Kan also makes this and ATTH also has this in granular form). You can still use your tonic as well.

These two formulas should bring something to the party, and help actively resolve the inflammation in the knees 'in an anti-inflammatory sort of way'. Know also that it takes a solid 6 months to completely heal cruciates, and that there will be some hobbling here and there until then, while the ligaments remodel in response to unaccustomed tensions placed upon them. But I would hope that in the next couple of weeks, you'd see some lessening of symptoms in spite of that.

if you're a chiropractor, or know someone who is, check out the hind end. Problems there, especially in the S-I joint, can contribute hugely to ACL lameness, and treatment can produce near instantaneous improvement.

I haven't done prolotherapy myself, but if the knee joints are 100% confirmed as the focus and locus of the lameness, with no other general contributions from conformation issues (e.g. chiropractic or osteopathic issues), then it will probably help. But I've never needed to go there myself, in a situation like you're dealing with.

Hopefully this advice helps you out!

Steve
by LaurieJohnson
June 8, 2017
Thank you Steve, very helpful :) I didn't see tumeric in the form of jiang huang or E Zhu in Xiao Huo Luo Dan. Do you suggest adding it to the formula? which form do you recommend?
by naturevet
June 8, 2017
It's added to Kan (Quick River) and Natural Path versions. So you're good to go if you use them

S
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply