Question Details
Oral Melanoma In A Dog
by Dreudog - June 20, 2017    View Case Report
Hi Steve and all,

I see a 16 year old mixed breed dog (looks like cattle dog X) for many years. She has a history of:

- EPI
- bilateral RACL ; TPLO 1 side, TTA the other, appreciable DJD and pain, better NSAIDS.
- urinary incontinence
- probable IVDD (pain on palpation of LS space)

She was dx June of 2016 w/ an oral melanoma, 2 areas . We started the Vit A & D protocol, coreolus mushroom, several other suppl and herbs: Mod. XGZYT + XCHT w/ bai shao and gui zhi. (she used to run a bit damp).

The mass has not visibly grown, but she recently developed some lymphadenopathy (submandibular nodes) and ventral neck swelling. The owner did not want a FNA, but I assume there are mets in these nodes.

I stopped her 2 single herbs and added Tian hua fen. Also had the owner ^ her Vit A & D from once weekly to 3 days/ week.

Any comments on these changes and her formulas?

Thanks !!!!

Cathy L.
Replies
by bannink
June 22, 2017
Hi Cathy,

I've not had much personal success with high grade oral melanoma, although low grade can often be managed well as you've done here. For those, modified XFZYT and XCHT or sometimes SMS instead if Damp Heat Patient, have offered me the most success.

Have you noted a change in the tongue and pulse, or other TCM signs? You you have a sense of what dynamic if manifesting in the patient right now....Damp, Blood deficiency? You are seeing Heat (or some Damp), motivating your addition of Tian Hua Fen and stopping Gui Zhi???

I don't have that much to contribute by way of specific recommendations based on what you've presented here. But I can offer what I've unearthed through a recent pub med search on TCM herb activity in melanoma and maybe between your assessment and Steve's thoughts it may be helpful.The following have shown activity in melanoma. Many of these you've already incorporated. The one's you haven't (Huang Qi and Wu Wei Zi) are a little warming, so maybe not best if you are seeing a lot of heat?

Some things to consider:
I've had some success with patients relapsing after a good long term responses by just increasing the dose and frequency if they still fit the TCM picture. Dosage and time of exposure are both important factors in controlling tumor growth in the laboratory studies that are out there.

Also, FWIW, the Natural Path granulars have been more effective for aggressive cases in my hands than tablets or even some of the other granulars, likely because they are more potent with no filler. So you might consider that depending on what you are currently using for this patient. I have clients compound into capsules if they can't give the granular as a power form.

Schizandra (Wu Wei Zi)- sour and warm
Scutellaria (Huang Qin) - already in XCHT
Salvia (Dan Shen) - sweet and neutral; you should be able to add this to either formula you have now
Angelica (Dang Gui) - already in XFZYT but could add more if you have blood deficiency signs
Astragalus (Huang Qi) - sweet and warm
Bupleurum (Chai Hu) - already in both XFZYT and XCHT
Cinnamon (Gui Zhi) - pungent, sweet, warm

Erin
by naturevet
June 22, 2017
Hi Cathy,

Information on the pulse and the points that change it would be helpful, I agree.

Barring that information, and given the age of the patient, coupled with my own recent observations, I'm wondering about a Qi tonic for this dog. There are many studies looking at the impact of Ginseng on melanoma cell lines, and there is also astragalus, as Erin mentioned.

An easy thing to try, especially if the pulse is weak and you are beginning to see signs of cachexia, is Liu Jun Zi Tang. Otherwise, perhaps Dang Gui Bu Xue Tang (5 parts Huang Qi to 1 part Dang Gui)

Tan Yu Tang and Hoxsey are also possibilities, but I'd want the pulse to feel rapid and excessive

Hope this gives you some ideas!

Steve
by Dreudog
June 26, 2017
Erin and Steve,

Thnx for your responses. Forgot to include tongue an pulse info on this dog. She has a black mouth and tongue, but pulses have chronically run deeper, a bit feeble, slightly fast. Maybe I should have added some extra Chai hu at some point- I often find it so difficult to build and move out these old dog pulses.

She does look qi deficient, so I'll review the qi tonics you guys have mentioned and start one. I've used LJZT in a number of cancer cases that are losing ground, and sometimes it really helps bring them back. She has EPI, so that might make a better case for LJZT.

Thanks !

:)Cathy
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply