Question Details
Chronic Wasting In A Guinea Pig
by bunnydoc - July 19, 2017
Hi

We are looking for some advice on what might be appropriate for a 2.5 year old intact male guinea pig.

Initially presented for second opinion dental disease. Irregular incisors and tongue entrapment found on PE. At that time, there was also generalized muscle wasting which we though was due to the teeth problems. Teeth trims were done under anesthesia and that seemed to provide some improvement but not 100%.

Blood work was unremarkable. But there was elevated hemoglobin and HCT despite therapy.

Receiving syringe feedings of Oxbow critical care with Ensure (40 ml/day) but the guinea pig is continuing to lose weight. This amount of feeding should be providing the guinea pig with adequate caloric intake. So now we are concerned about malabsorption vs. neoplasia.

Is there a specific herb that might aid in absorption of nutrients or suspect but unknown type neoplasia.

Thanks for your help!

Leticia
Replies
by naturevet
July 24, 2017
Hi Leticia,

Are appetite and stool normal? If so, then a formula called Yi Guan Jian (Glehnia and Rehmannia Combination) is the single best thing we know of for chronic weight loss.

If appetite is low (which I assume, based on the need for syringe feeding), then without having any other diagnosis, I'd suggest Liu Jun Zi Tang (Six Gentlemen Combination)

If you end up with more information, let me know and I can maybe come up with some more ideas. Meanwhile, hope that helps

(Can guinea pigs get hairballs?)

Steve
by bunnydoc
December 27, 2017
Steve,
I wanted to let you know that this guinea pig has been doing wonderfully!!
It is back to its normal/good weight and body condition and is eating independently.
Thank you again for your help!
by naturevet
December 28, 2017
That's awesome! Thank you for the feedback

S
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply