Question Details
Fractured Tail Vertebrae In A Dog
by jschell - July 20, 2017    View Case Report
Hello!
Do you feel Symphytum (comfry) would be helpful for healing a fractured tail vertebrae?
How about maybe adding on a TCVM hebal formula as well?
I want this tail to heal without surgery as surgical pin implantation can lead to death of nerves and decreased circulation/paralysis.

I have her in a splint for now.

Thank you!
Sincerely,
Julie
Replies
by jschell
July 21, 2017
Also, do you feel that if the fractured tail vertebrae was developing a sequestrum, that the Comfry would take care of that to prevent the need for surgery?
In addition to acupuncture (Kidney meridian, Tail tip needling), what treatments can help heal sequesterums?

Thank you so much!
Julie
by naturevet
July 24, 2017
Hi Julie,

Comfrey is definitely advisable. If you are seeing inflammation associated with the fracture, we usually combine Symphytum in equal amounts with Boneset (Eupatorium perfoliatum) and Eupatorium purpureum. We can make that for you if you need it.

The other thing that springs to mind is St John's Wort. It can be very helpful for neuralgic pains due to blows and trauma (0.2 ml per 5 lbs, BID). Avoid use for more than a couple of weeks, to avoid photosensitization (assuming you're getting nice weather). Lastly, I'd suggest the owner obtain Arnica montana (homeopathic) and give it twice daily (30C strength)

Hope that helps you out!

Steve
by jschell
July 24, 2017
Thank you very much Steve. I appreciate your awesome help.
I will order these from Natural Path and report outcome.
I'll take more rads in 4 weeks.

I really want to prevent sequestrum and promote healing.
Thank you again!
Julie
by jschell
December 25, 2017
Huge improvement/healing!
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply