Question Details
Sebaceous Adenitis In A Pocket Pet
by veerled - July 25, 2017    View Case Report
I have been asked to treat a rabbit with sebaceous adenitis. It has a long-standing history of flare-ups and they found recurrent courses of antibiotics help. The bunny is 7 y old. She has recently had pneumonia which again was treated with ab and responded, no nasal discharge, no eye discharge just very bad skin all over dorsum and sides of legs with hair loss. The owner has used rehmania powder and thinks it helped before contacting me. I was planning to try astragalus granulate and add San Ren Tang. There has never been appetite loss nor ileus and anaesthetic recovery after biopsy was uneventful. Any help would be great but I want to play it super safe because this is an oldie.

Thank you

I posted this as a general question instead of as a case, hence reposted as a case. Your reply was to try bloods palace. Unfortunately I did not read this in time and started the rabbit on San ren tang
Replies
by naturevet
July 26, 2017
Hi there,

SRT is fine to try for starters. I'd hold off on the Astragalus, as it may aggravate the inflammatory response.

The dorsal lesion distribution suggests Wind invasion, and the sebaceous nature of things suggests Damp, so SRT fits. If the lesions are pustular or furuncular, another formula to use in tandem or instead is Xian Fang Huo Ming Yin. Still another is Xiao Feng San. Both of these have at least some impact on Blood, which seems a good idea, given the benefits of Rehmannia.

Hope that helps you out!

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply