Question Details
Chronic Dermatitis In A Cat
by DWT - August 7, 2017    View Case Report
Hey Steve.

Ollie is a 14 yr old DLH cat that has had a persistent dermatitis due to licking for over a year. He is a nervous kitty and hides a lot. He obsessively licks at both paralumbar areas just in front of the hip joints, along the gall bladder meridian. He still runs and plays and jumps up on the counter for his food so he does not appear to be painful. His regular vet has put him on NSAIDs and steroids but there was no response.

He has normal energy level, pink tongue with clear coat, typical deep, deficient cat pulse. Picky appetite, normal water intake and appears to prefer to stay warm.. Initially I put him on Qing Ying Tang but he showed no improvement. My thoughts make me want to try xiao chai hu since it is on the GB meridian even though pain doesn't seem to be a factor. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Replies
by naturevet
August 24, 2017
Hi there,

The location of the licking suggests a musculoskeletal issue, not all of which are responsive to NSAIDs

Taking a step back, he appears Cold and Deficient, and this fits with his age, bringing Kidney tonics to mind.

Putting the two together - possible back pain and the need for Kidney tonification, I would wonder about You Gui Wan and Du Huo Ji Sheng Tang. The pulse suggests more the former

I'd start there, then reassess. Also, consider a chiropractic evaluation and treatment for the low back. That might expedite improvements

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply