Question Details
L Forelimb Dragging Toes In A Dog
by LJH - August 14, 2017    View Case Report
Hi Steve,
I've seen a 9 yr F(S) Cairn Terrier that has been dragging the LF toes for the past 5 weeks. Foot will also slide out from under her sometimes when walking.The problem began following a routine dentistry and grooming. Owner wonders if wasn't happening on/off before that. No known trauma. Nothing obvious on Xray. No improvement with Metacam.There is pronounced muscle atrophy over the left scapula/ shoulder/triceps and while she drags her toes there is a fairly normal knuckling response. No obvious muscle spasm. She is a nervous anxious dog and has been shrieking when the other dogs in the household approach her or bump into her. She is moderately sensitive on palpation of GB-20, 21, BL-10,11, GV-14 and BL-18,19. Reduced range of motion of the neck laterally L>R, and somewhat on extension of the neck.Good appetite, no digestive or skin issues, thunderphobic. No notable difference in lameness with different weather or after rest. Feet are cool.Tongue sl. pale with a thin white coat. Pulse moderate to deep, sl weak, a bit wiry improved with needling GB points. I have acupunctured her twice with no improvement except she hasn't been shrieking at the other dogs approaching her or her being picked up. Points used have been GB 20,21, BL-10,11, GV-14, TH-5, LI-10, SI-3,GB-34, BL-19. I started her on Benefit Hips and Knees and DHJST. She's only had a few days on the herbs. I wondered about adding Bu Gan Tang, despite the lack of obvious muscle spasm . Considering XHLD but the dog tends toward warm not cool and while seems to need Blood moved to the periphery there looks to be Blood deficiency. The owner hasn't been able to go for the chiro assessment yet. Any thoughts you might have would be appreciated. Many thanks, Llewanda
Replies
by naturevet
August 24, 2017
Hi Llewanda,

Chiropractic will probably be immensely helpful here, especially in tandem with your acupuncture. Hopefully the owner will make that a priority

Your herbs are fine to start with. Once chiropractic is performed, the pulse will likely change significantly, and you'll have a better idea of whether the formulas you're using are appropriate. I guess I would be tempted to add in Bu Gan Tang now, though, to give the other more dispersing formulas 'something to work with'. If the dog is Blood deficient, and we use strong movers, we can 'scatter' the Blood on the surface, rendering circulation ineffective and prolonging the condition. Adding some more Blood will help reduce the risk of the scattering phenomenon.

Onset 5 weeks ago puts us near the solstice, when Blood deficiency conditions are accentuated. Hot weather alone will have that scattering effect, precipitating pain, so I'd give the BGT a try

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply