Question Details
Polyuria / Polydipsia In A Dog
by veerled - September 14, 2017    View Case Report
River is a 7 y MN whippet,
He is raw fed
Few years ago started a chronic hacking cough, comes and goes but when bad is off colour, hacking cough, dry sticky mucus, some putrid smell from face at times, sticky nasal discharge, reverse sneezing++, will be like that for several days and then settle
Contacted me re sudden onset polydipsia
urine: normal sg, hematuria, proteinuria
Bloods raised urea 29.4 mmol/l, creatinine 268 mmol/l, phosphate fine, no anemia, raised amylase+++ but normal lipase, calcium normal, alt 81 u/l, slight e0soniphilia but rest of blood count fine. urine protein/ creat ratio: 1.78
prostate fine on exam, no pyrexia, feels hot for a dog of this breed, not clammy but definitely warmer than I expect, dry red tongue, pulse toned
chest auscultation: no lowerairway issue or cardiac so cough seems upperairway, no masses felt near larynx
Owner says variable appetite on some days really severe borborygmen, abdomen slightly tender, prayer position when has a bad day, is supplemented with mercola probiotics, variable protein source diet. Noise sensitivity
Firts line vet had recommended renal ultrasound
Funds are limited
I am inclined to treat San Ren Tang although prot creat ratio is less than 3.5 because of GI signs/ airway signs match or should I go for Rehmania 8?
I have started on food diary to see if certain proteins trigger GI signs
wormcount to eliminate lungworm, kefir and bone broth to support GI health. Interesting that this entire dog does have no upper airway signs for weeks when friends dog next door is on heat, I wondered if sniffing and increased sens stimulation increases lubrication of larynx/pharynx...
Replies
by veerled
September 14, 2017
Add on Although it seems no one has found prostate being very big, I wonder if SRT would also tackle inflamed prostate. SG being normal I am still not convinced it is not postrenal azotemia somehow seen lack of other RF symptoms.
by CorinneC
September 17, 2017
I really think SRT will help this dog as I've had two just like this one. Really helps with that URT inflammation and I think it can't hurt at all! Sorry, just waiting to hear back on one of my cases and saw yours.
by naturevet
September 18, 2017
Hi Veerle,

I agree that San Ren Tang is a good place to start. I would also move the dog onto a freeze-dried grain-free, home-cooked, or raw diet as well. Often the diet-mediated inflammation isn't coming from a particular antigen, but from the food in general (in particular, how it is metabolized, and the interface of metabolism on inflammation).

For more renal support, cooling action, reduction of thirst, and anti-inflammatory effects, you could look at also using Zhi Bai Di Huang Wan in tandem with the SRT.

Hope that helps. Particularly with diet change, this may be a rewarding case for you. While the UPC is low, SRT can still help these cases, particularly when used with a Rehmannia-based formula (like ZBDHW).

Steve
by veerled
October 19, 2017
Dear Steve and Corinne

We are several weeks in,
River is fed raw
has now lost some weight as well, has good and bad days. I started him on just SRT together with some cornsilk and saw palmetto in low dose . He has made no improvement at all.
The owner noted that he is depressed in am and picks up in energy and appetite towards evening.
His cough has similar pattern. She definitely does not want abdominal ultrasounds. I am adding Zhi Bai Di hUang wan this week, but because of severe tummy rumbles would Yi guan Jian make sense as well/instead??
by naturevet
October 19, 2017
Hi there,

Have you assessed his renal function and UPC lately? That will help tell you what direction to move in.

Given the circadian rhythm you're seeing, the next step is to try Kidney support. ZBDHW is fine if he still has his red tongue and heat signs, however. YGJ is a better choice if the cough is resolved and now he has a lot of borborygmi

Hope that helps,

Steve
by bodawee
June 22, 2023
Consider an abdominal ultrasound - this sounds like prostatitis to me. I am working with a 7 yr old M intact Doberman currently who presented in a similar manner to your patient. (Abdominal pain, downward dog prayer position). Ultrasound revealed enlarged prostate (obviously) and primary suspicion of prostatitis. Urine culture - E.coli (multi drug resistant). Working to sort out an herbal program now to compliment Baytril course prescribed by ER.
by bodawee
June 22, 2023
A comment for other readers (knowing this is a 2017 case): Consider an abdominal ultrasound - this sounds like prostatitis to me. I am working with a 7 yr old M intact Doberman currently who presented in a similar manner to your patient. (Abdominal pain, downward dog prayer position). Ultrasound revealed enlarged prostate (obviously) and primary suspicion of prostatitis. Urine culture - E.coli (multi drug resistant). Working to sort out an herbal program now to compliment Baytril course prescribed by ER.
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply