Question Details
Allergic Reactions To Herbs
by pdragos - September 17, 2017
I have a client who's Wind-Damp-Heat Skin dog reacts (increased skin redness, pruritis) to various individual herbs. Is it possible to use herbal formulas containing these potentially reactive herbs and not see a reaction or even see improvement due to the modulation of the other herbs in the particular formula?
Replies
by naturevet
September 18, 2017
Hi there,

Generally, adverse reactions to herbs are based on circulation, and not on allergies. For example, if a skin formula actually aggravated a dog's skin, rather than improved it, I would immediately surmise the dog needed a formula with an opposite circulatory effect.

As an example, Chu Shi Wei Ling Tang (Dispel Damp and Nourish the Skin) has a circulation-enhancing effect on the skin, good for combating chronic infections and lichenification, and for resolving low-grade skin inflammation. If a dog worsened on it, I'd know to use a much stronger anti-inflammatory that takes blood flow away from the skin (like Si Miao San), or at least use the two of them simultaneously.

If you need help figuring out the circulatory effects of the herbs that produced the adverse events, and what would thus be more likely to provide the desired effect, let us know

So, in answer to your question: Yes, a herb that by itself would aggravate circulation (and the skin) can easily be counter-balanced by the other herbs in the formula. An example is Si Miao San, where if we used its Cang Zhu (Atractylodes) content alone in animals with acute skin inflammation, the skin would worsen; but with enough added Phellodendron, that worsening influence is eliminated.

Hope that helps!
Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply