Question Details
Seizures In A Dog
by henry - October 11, 2017    View Case Report
Cooper is a 9 year old neutered, male Golden Retriever who first presented June, 2017 because of seizures that began August, 2015. The owners said that there had been a lot of change about that time, including a move and family health issues. Cooper had been adopted from a breeder as a puppy and had always exhibited some anxiety, including storm anxiety.

He had been evaluated at two specialty practices and been diagnosed with idiopathic epilepsy. He was currently being medicated with Kepra, Zonisamide, and Phenobarbital, as well as Melatonin in the evening. The owners reported that the Phenobarbital was sedating and seemed to be causing a rear leg ataxia. There was no prior history of illness.

The seizures did not occur at any particular time of day, but did seem to be exacerbated by change or other stress: storms, being startled. The seizures had initially been grand mal but, since the introduction of Kepra, had been petit mal only.

Cooper's tongue was pale lavender. His pulse was weak and deep. Needling BL 22, 25, and GB 30 improved the pulse. I began him on CHJGMLT and treated with chiropractic in addition to acupuncture.

I have treated Cooper every one to two weeks since June. He responds well to acupuncture and CHJGMLT. In July I added BXBZTMT because of an overall impression of Dampness (Body score 8/10; some moisture in his tongue, sedation with meds, and pulse response to SP 9). With the addition of that herb, the interval between seizures increased and he went from daily petit mal seizures to a recent interval of 22 days with no seizure activity.

The owner reports two grand mal seizures and a number of petit mal seizures in the past 24 hours. The last week our weather has shifted to autumn (late for Iowa...thank you global warming) with wind, rain, and falling temperatures, which may account for Cooper's regression.

I would like to pick you brain as to where to go from here. He is on a good, organic commercial raw diet. Thank you, and hope all is well up north.
Replies
by naturevet
October 16, 2017
Hi there,

BXBZTMT is a tonic for the brain, increasing its blood flow. CHJLGMLT has the opposite effect, and is generally what is needed for Shao Yang type seizures.

My temptation would be to use Long Dan Xie Gan Tang with the Chai Hu Jia Long Gu Mu Li Tang, if you're thinking there is Damp present. The Blood flow effect is more consistent between the two.

If we get a prolonged seizure interval that is, say, 3 times longer than normal, but then breaks with 3 times the usual number of seizures, then the number of seizures per interval stays the same and we are not actually experiencing forward progress. I don't know if that math applies here, but from what you mention above, it might.

If, on the other hand, a moving average of the seizure free interval still shows it is increasing, and if everyone's perception that the dog is better on BXBZTMT, then you'd want to continue it. Overall, though, I see these two formulas - CHJLGMLT and BXBZTMT - as somewhat antidoting each other.

Perhpas, though, the worsening is seasonal, in which case you might see more stability as you move into December

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply