Question Details
Eosinophilic Bronchopneumopathy And Pruritis
by tradcliffe - November 1, 2017
Sorry, I can't remember how to link the question to specific cases. Nala is a 1yo FS husky mix that was diagnosed with eosinophilic bronchopneumopathy in March 2017. She has been on decreasing doses of prednisone, which we were only able to decrease by adding San Ren Tang. However, now she has developed some pruritis and inflamed skin with alopecia around medial and lateral aspects of distal joints (tarsi, elbows, metatarsophalangeal). The skin in her axillae and inguinal areas is pink, and her caudal abdomen has dark pigmentation, owner said previously there were pustules. Her pulse is moderate to superficial, slippery/wiry? It seems to normalize with pressure on SP points. Her tongue is pinkish/purple. She is lean, has a nice hair coat, everything about her seems fairly moderate except for the cough and now the skin, so I am having trouble with a TCM diagnosis. The productive cough and its response to SRT does indicate some Dampness and mild heat. The new skin issues suggest the same.

I was going to try her with Chu Shi Wei Ling Tang, but keep her on the Three Seeds as well since it has helped her cough. I am thinking that I may not get the success I am looking for unless I get them to change her to a non-processed diet?

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks, as always,
Tracy
Replies
by naturevet
November 7, 2017
Hi Tracy,

An unprocessed diet is always a good thing

Regarding a formula, the pulse suggests ample cutaneous blood flow, which is probably supporting the inflammatory response. Something anti-inflammatory that pulls blood away from the skin may be a good idea right now. I'd suggest Si Miao San, if you want to continue using anti-Damp formulas, which makes sense if you're seeing active Spleen points. Diet change would support the formulas and enhance results.

The only other thing I'm thinking of is Minor Bupleurum, which can be indicated by a similar pulse. This would be particularly advisable if GB points helped the pulse. The formula is well-indicated for pneumonitis, and we've also seen some benefits from it in skin disease due to its immune modulating effects

Hope that helps!

Steve
by tradcliffe
November 30, 2017
Thanks for this advice. I had actually considered both of these formulas (obviously I had a great teacher :) ), and the owner just contacted me saying the coughing had worsened and her skin was getting more inflamed, so we will try one of these other formulas and see how she does.
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply