Question Details
Laryngeal Paralysis In A Dog
by johnnalsmith - November 2, 2017    View Case Report
Hi! Brandi is an 8 year old, FS, lab (60 pounds) that presented to me yesterday for coughing/gagging 5 months post tie back surgery at a specialty clinic. Her owner's chief complaint now is her excessive swallowing, gagging and regurgitation. It happens some during the day, however, it seems to be much worse at night, especially between 11pm and 4am. Her tongue is red and her pulse is sort of thin, but not as wiry as I'd expect with a TH obstruction. However, sedating GB 34 did help widen the pulse. She has had several diagnostics (barium rads that show aspiration of barium, endoscopy that revealed IBD post tie back, and lack of gag reflex on exam). I've started her on XCHT (2-500mg BID). Am I on the right track or is there something else I should consider? She's getting acupuncture as well focusing on GB/TH points. Thanks in advanced!
Replies
by naturevet
November 7, 2017
Hi there,

Ordinarily, my first thought would be XCHT as well, but the pulse and tongue don't quite fit. Given the symptoms, tongue, pulse and time of worsening, I'd say you're dealing with a Jue Yin excess, and would suggest changing XCHT for Wu Mei Wan, unless the dog is notably improved on XCHT. The two can be used together if you're not sure.

Jue Yin excess is tantamount to an upbearing pressure from the lower abdomen due to Yin deficiency, causing Stomach Heat. It's the main cause of GERDs in the middle of the night in people, and I suspect you're dealing with it here in a dog.

Let us know how it goes!

Steve
by johnnalsmith
January 8, 2018
Hi Steve,

Thank you so much for your help. I've had Brandi on the wu mei wan (capsules from Evergreen- 1 BID) and XCHT (Kan Harmonize the Qi- 2BID) for about 6 weeks now. She has been sleeping a bit longer at night and her gagging has increased, but her parents say she still wakes up swallowing a lot and then eventually gags. I'm thinking I need to increase the wu mei wan (she's 60 pounds) and maybe discontinue the XCHT? Would you recommend something else? Her tongue is still red with some purple and her pulse is thin (better with GB34 sedation and BL23 tonify).
Thanks again.
by naturevet
January 10, 2018
Hi there,

Yes, that dose looks low. You'd want to give the equivalent of 1 tsp BID of granules to achieve effective control of the regurgitation. As far as XCHT is concerned, I generally suggest the equivalent of 4g (or about 8 tabs) BID to get on top of a situation for a dog that size, then taper as improvements accrue. So both formulas seem to perhaps be being under-dosed.

The other thing that helps some of these dogs is Yi Guan Jian. It can be used with the other two formulas if needed. But I would start by adjusting the dose of each upwards, if you've seen partial improvements

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply