Question Details
Horse Is Very Nervous In Winter
by alexandra - November 16, 2017
A middle aged Lusitano gelding always gets extremly nervous when it gets cold. Otherwise the horse is doing fine. In summer he is no problem to ride, but in winter he really gets nervous and is difficult to ride. The owner has lots of different blankets, which make things better, but not perfect. Which formulas could help? Thanks
Alexandra
Replies
by naturevet
November 16, 2017
Hi Alexandra,

I'm wondering whether the nervousness is in anticipating of being ridden when there is a generalized back ache

With that in mind, I would probably try a formula called Du Huo Ji Sheng Tang - that is, a formula to Expel Wind Cold while being tonifying.

Chiropractic may help here, too, or acupuncture

If you only have access to single western herbs, then something warming, aromatic, and circulation enhancing like Cinnamon is called for. DHJST has it in there, as does another formula called Gui Zhi Tang that you may be able to source. It has an additional muscle relaxant known as Peony (Bai Shao) that will provide a more complete impact

Hope this helps you out!

Steve

Steve
by alexandra
November 17, 2017
The horse has being treated with chiropraxis for years (I´m certified in chiropraxis). He is usually fine, nothing much to find. And he is ridden dressage, but not for competiton. So I don´t think, that backpain is a problem. The owner tryed western herbs, but didn´t see any results. So that´s why we are now looking for chinese herbs. We are living in Austria and for horses I use Jing Tang herbs.
The only thing I don´t like is how he is kept. I think that his stall is too small and he is only out in a paddock with some other horses but he is never out on pasture.
Thanks
Alexandra
by naturevet
November 17, 2017
How does he get along with the other horses? What Jing Tang formulas have you already tried?

S
by alexandra
November 17, 2017
We havn´t tried any Jing Tang formulas on him yet. The owner tried ginger, but she didn´t think that it helped. From mid december he is so spooky, that she can´t ride him.
He is active with other horses, trying to get them to play with him.
Thanks
Alexandra
by naturevet
November 17, 2017
What month does he start to settle down again?

S
by alexandra
November 17, 2017
He improves when it gets above zero during daytime (march) , but he doesn´t spook anymore in april to may. (when it doesn´t go under 15 degrees centigrade anymore).
A
by naturevet
November 17, 2017
In that case, I think I would try to source a formula known as Bu Zhong Yi Qi Tang. It should be relatively easy to find, although Jing Tang might not have it. If there are no other physical issues (e.g. loose stools, etc.) and it is just a mental/emotional issue, that formula should help a lot. It will be a granular extract, most likely, so you won't need anywhere near the doses you use of JT herbs

Steve
by alexandra
November 19, 2017
I checked him today. His muscles are fine. A little bit of stiffness in the hamstrings, before the shoulderblade and in the neck. But I would give him 85 points from 100. He is also spooky in winter when not ridden, and this spookyness has been going on for 5 winters. So I ordered Bu zong yi qi t.
Thanks
Alexandra
by naturevet
November 19, 2017
Let us know how it goes!

S
by alexandra
February 22, 2018
Hi! The owner feed Bu zhong yi qi tang for a month, but didn´t see any improvement. (Dose too small?) So I tried Aconit C10000, which seemed to make things better.
Thanks
Alexandra
by naturevet
February 22, 2018
Excellent. A response to Aconitum could suggest Kidney Qi deficiency, if you look at herbs again

Steve
by alexandra
February 23, 2018
Thanks
Alexandra
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply