Question Details
Coughing Cat
by DWT - November 28, 2017
Hi Steve. I have been treating a 5.5 yr, DSH, s/f for chronic coughing. She was dx with asthma by the regular vet and recommended hypoallergenic diet. She was put on prednisone and did not show any improvement. They tried a humidifier and no improvement. She also shows excessive swallowing and some increased laryngeal sounds. She has coughing spells where she extends her neck. They usually start about 7-8pm and are intermittent most of the night. Her lungs sound very raspy and dry, her hair coat is very dry and she has consistent problems with constipation. Her tongue is pink with little clear coat. Typical cat pulse with no significant findings. She is no longer playful and sleeps most of the time.

I started her on Wei Ling Tang as she is very chilly, seeks warmth and her ear tips and paws are cold. She has not responded at all, She is not the typical asthmatic cat obviously, so not sure what direction to go with a change in herbs. She has been on a fresh, raw diet and drinks very little. Thanks.
Replies
by naturevet
December 2, 2017
Hi Dennis,

You're seeing a lot of Dryness and Yin deficiency symptoms, there. The cough occurs during the Jue Yin time of day. Jue Yin organs (like the Liver and Pericardium) rely on adequate Blood to perform their function of spreading (and descending) the Qi. So you need a Blood or Yin tonic that descends Lung Qi.

I guess the first thing I'd wonder about, then, is Xue Fu Zhu Yu Tang, which has Blood moving properties as well, but has the overall right direction of action you need (downward); and a reputation for efficacy for chronic cough where there is Blood deficiency.

I'd go with that first. Bai Hu Gu Jin Tang (or Dry Airway from Natural Path) is another choice, but it is purely moistening, without the Qi moving attributes implied as necessary by the time of day when symptoms are worsening. So I'd try XFZYT first

Hope that helps!

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply