Question Details
Guinea Pig Weight Loss Despite Appetite
by bunnydoc - November 29, 2017
Could I please have advice regarding a guinea pig with weight loss despite having a good appetite.
This is an approximately 4 year old intact male Satin/Crested Cross guinea pig who initially presented to our clinic for a waxing and waning appetite. Dental disease (uneven incisor occlusal surface and minor wave mouth of molars) was found on physical examinations and corrected with trimming and filing to the point where his oral examinations have become overall normal. Owners have declined skull radiographs so we can not comment on possible underlying issues. Despite his dental disease correction(s), the guinea pig continues to have a waxing and waning appetite (supplemented with Herbivore Critical Care) with continued weight loss despite supplementation. His stool is generally small and malformed despite adding critical care to his diet.
CBC/Chem performed in October showed an elevated WBC with differentials within normal limits. Treated with a course of TMS.
A fecal was negative for intestinal parasites.
I will be starting the pig on bene-bac probiotic, but was hoping that there was another option if the pig was unresponsive to this therapy.
Thank you for your help.
Replies
by naturevet
December 2, 2017
Hi there,

One option is to just start with his Spleen Qi, using something that supports normal immunity, and has are reputation for countering cachexia (if there's an unknown chronic disease in play), and provides anti-cancer support.

Considering all that, I'd advocate Liu Jun Zi Tang (Six Gentlemen Combination)

Hope that helps,

Steve
by bunnydoc
December 27, 2017
Hi again,
Just an update that we started the guinea pig on Liu Jun Zi Tang and he is doing well.
With the holiday season, I have not had a resent update, but will get one to you asap.
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply