Question Details
TDX Reflex Dyssynergia In A Dog
by Dreudog - November 30, 2017    View Case Report
Hi Steve and all,

This dog is a4 yr. old MN G. Shepherd. He has had 4 episodes of an inability to empty his bladder, discomfort, but was easily catheterized and emptied) by the rDVM over the last 2.5 years ( June, August, May and now November on herbs). He typically has flared after drinking ++ water.

He is nervous, has bitten a few X, grumbles for restraint, has a thinnish pulse w/ gums pink and moist. His bladder workup (culture, X-rays) was normal.

I sent BZYQT May 13 2017 and June 29th he had an episode. So then I changed to San ren tang 7/27 ; he had his most recent episode last week. How bladder is easily catheterized or expressed each time, and then he is comfy.

Any thoughts on this dog?

Thanks !

Cathy L.
Replies
by naturevet
December 2, 2017
Hi Cathy,

For sure I would also use Saw Palmetto here. It reduces urethral tone enough that these dogs can pee completely empty their bladder. Both of the formulas make sense. I guess the correlation of high thirst and inhibited urination also makes me think of Wu Mei Wan, particularly with the Wood mentality.

So I guess I'd try those next...

Steve
by Dreudog
December 5, 2017
Well, I don't think he nec. has ^ thirst; just that when he drinks more after exercise or in the heat, he seems prone to flareups. The 1 other case I see does the same thing - I always assumed their bladders were overdistended and just not (neurologically) capable of contracting.

Still possibly Wu Mei Wan? And "both formulas make sense", you mean the BZYQT and SRT?

Since he had a flareup after several months on SRT, I figured we needed to go another direction again. Maybe Saw Palmetto and WMW? And do you like David Winston's formulas for Western herbs?

Thanks again!
by naturevet
December 7, 2017
Yes, both your prior formulas make sense, but if they're not working, then naturally you shouldn't persist with them

Yes, I'd still try the WMW

For Saw Palmetto, I can only speak to the Natural Path version working well here, but you can certainly try other brands and see. If they didn't work, then I'd go with the Nat Path version

Steve
by Dreudog
December 7, 2017
Ah, did not know there was a NP version of Saw Palmetto! Have never used....

thnx
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply