Question Details
ALT Elevation In A Dog
by MatthewJMuir - December 1, 2017    View Case Report
12yo F(N) Toy Poodle presented in September 2017 for nutritional support post GBectomy for mucocele in Dec 2016. She had persistent ALT elevations . She has some history of colitis.

At time of mucocele sx she was histologically dx'd with IBD. She has separation anxiety which flares her vomiting. No liver wedge biopsies were performed at the time.

She had been using the Hills L/D diet for low protein, copper, anti-ox support + SAMe + silymarin + lactobacillus based synbiosis therapy from vet + glutamine/slippery elm from animal naturopath + empirical MTZ for IBD flareups.

On initial exam in Sep she was in optimal body condition, comfortable on abdo palpation, thor ausc NAD, had a shrivelled lavender tongue with a slippery superficial pulse. She was active at GB27 bilat, and BL24. She had pain on coxofem and stifle pROM and elbow abduction. Trigger Point -ve. "John Wayne Cowboy Hindlimb Gait".

My Assessment was uncharacterized ALT elev + musculoskeletal comorbidity, plus chronic IBD but likely IBS-type component w sufficient and neccessary criteria for dx of separation anxiety/panic disorder.

TCVM assessment; Spleen Qi Deficient leading to Liver Deficient/Shen Disturbance. I suspect element of dampness before I met her w/ hx of colitis/vomiting, but suspect a high GI diet was involved.

I initially moved her to a home prepared low copper liver cleansing/ gut cleansing diet per Jean Dodds Nutrigenomics + spirulina + enterococcus based probiotics for gentle chelation. Client was initially wanting to use naturopath for supplement side wanting my counselling only for base diet, so I suggested we proceed to Nutrascan testing and for O to consider adding Xiao Yao San to current hepatosupport + Adaptil collar with recheck of bloods in one month, ideally after GI signs settle to ascertain if elev ALT was primary hepatocellular vs an element of IBS/IBD.

There was some offenders on nutrascan which we eliminated. After a month the ALT had remained elevated at 900, so we ultrasounded, finding no morphological changes and normal sized liver, no pancreatitis/steatis.

I then advised to add Xiao Yao San for another 6 weeks before repeating the testing and continue gut/liver cleansing diet.

She presented yesterday for reassessment, her weight is stable, her anxiety has improved, her vomiting fully resolved for weeks. She has been fasted for bile acids.

Her results after 6 weeks of XYS were ALT moved from mid 900 to high 800s, AST moved from 600 to 900, GGT remained high at 24, fasting bile acids (no gb re: stimulation) moved from 150 to 100.

I had advised if XYS not effective in reducing enzymes we could consider moving to Ge Xia Zhu Yu Tang for a congestive lesion. I advised my differentials are chronic hepatitis +/- idiopathic fibrotic disease, copper storage dz or some diffuse hepatic neoplasia.

Her TCVM energetics are showing pinker tongue but pulse the same.
We have discussed wedge biopsy but O unsure she wants to put her through another surgery. I have cautioned that if we delay procedure we may end up with a sick end stage dog. The internists would think about gemfibrozil and medical chelation but I was wondering about whether we just leave her be for a few months with no vomiting on SAMe, silymarin and XYS and re-test in a few months, or can you "hedge bets" and use a combo of XYS and GXZYT or is this too polarising. Her energetics don't seem to match with GXZYT (red tongue, toned pulse) but thought id ask.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Dr Matthew J Muir
All Natural Vet Care
Replies
by naturevet
December 2, 2017
Hi Matthew,

That's a very thorough case report!

The liver enzyme elevations are significant, smacking of an Excess situation, especially when the pulse is slippery like that. That kind of toneless superficial pulse is associated not just with Dampness, but also a Shao Yang disharmony, where Yang is trapped in the upper burner. In the absence of a red tongue (which suggests an all over increase in Damp Heat and pathological Yang), I would wonder if the overall complement of bodily Yang is normal, but just in the wrong location. In other words, I would wonder about a Shao Yang disharmony. Incidentally, the two top differentials for mucocoele are Damp Heat and a Shao Yang disharmony.

As far as the rest of the case is concerned, vomiting can occur secondarily to both diagnoses. Anxiety would perhaps be more common with a Shao Yang disharmony.

So, my two recommendations would be to first try Xiao Chai Hu Tang (Minor Bupleurum) ,and if that does not improve things, Si Miao San. Now because you're in the southern hemisphere, we're approaching your summer solstice. If a problem is worsening right now, that suggests Damp Heat to be more likely. But if the whole problem started during the 'shoulder seasons', that suggests Shao Yang is the culprit.

If in doubt, you can try both formulas together, but we always learn more when we do one thing at a time. So I'd try XCHT. For either condition, use of XYS would not improve the situation, and may aggravate it, so I'd suggest stopping that formula for now.

Hope this helps you out! Let us know how it goes!

Steve
by MatthewJMuir
December 5, 2017
Hi Steve,

Thankyou for your response. I have elected to swap to XCHT (plus Adaptil collar for anxiety) based on energetics and when the problem commenced. Good also as I think she is a bit sore with her gait in pelvic limbs so XCHT may be good benefit there. Thanks for the pathological yang explanation. Makes sense.

Will move to SMS if not happy. Also will be upping elemental zinc.

Keep you posted,

Stay warm over there

Best,

Matt
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply