Question Details
Polycythemia Vera In A Dog
by Logan - December 3, 2017    View Case Report
We are seeing a patient with signs of Heat, Damp, and Blood Stagnation whose PCV initially dropped about 15 % with Qing Ying Tang, then slowly crept upward. Fell slightly again with the addition of Si Miao San, but we have as yet been unable to get dog onto lower or no medication. The herbs and h-made diet have brought PCV down into normal range and the dog acts like it feels "better than it has in years" per the owner,
Any insights, intuitions, ideas , on what might help some more ?
Much Love and Appreciation to all.
Todd
Replies
by naturevet
December 7, 2017
Hi Todd,

When there is a temporary or partial but ongoing response, then my first instinct is to increase the dose of what I'm doing. How about bumping up the QYT or SMS, or both?

If the dog is feeling well, resolution is potentially just a matter of time. What drugs are you using to help control the problem. Perhaps if we interpret them from a Chinese medical perspective, we'll come up with a more completely acting Chinese herbal replacement.

Hope those ideas help....
by Logan
December 21, 2017
Hi Steve,
thanks for your ideas. We have previously bumped up the dose on the QYT from BID to TID and did not get much change. Then added the SMS. The PCV remained below 60 and maybe decreased by another point or two. Clinically, the dog is acting "Really great--adn I mean great in every way" per the owner. Yet the PCV 2 days ago is back up to 60.
The medicine is HYDROXYUREA.

Hope you enjoy the holiday times ! I did not attend San Diego but bought the recordings of your Autoimmune and Cushings talks and as always --good stuff ! :Yes, stuck behind that boulder is a place I have been too many times ! I am trying a new approach which is the theme of Creativity rather than effecting, but it is scary to my controlling self !

Much thanks, Todd
by naturevet
December 21, 2017
Hi again,

If the hydroxyurea worked well, then my interpretation of its action is that it is acting like a Qi, Blood or Yin tonic - not so much promoting bone marrow stimulation, but perhaps Ying Qi instead.

The only Qi tonic I know of with a hydrating action that doesn't boost bone marrow function is Ginseng. I'd maybe try Liu Jun Zi Tang, and hold off on the other herbs for a bit. I have no real biomedical rationale for recommending it, but I'm still curious what would happen

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply