Question Details
Follow Up On Herbs For Hyperthyroidism
by citydvm - December 5, 2017
Hi Steve,
I asked the cat to come back in and assessed T@P.
Tongue- small, pale and dry with some cracks on the antero-lateral edges
Pulse- toned and not thin, with finger lift both femorals
cat mild personality/ more deficient than excess, prefers cooler areas in the house as per owner, active bladder points Bl-23, 24, 25 maybe 26,
This owner wanted herbs instead of methimazole.
from the above description is there any herbal treatment which comes to mind?
Thanks a lot!
Voltaire
Replies
by naturevet
December 7, 2017
Hi Voltaire,

If T4 is significantly elevated, and the cat has lost significant weight, then given the pulse, I'd suggest you use Zhi Bai Di Huang Wan first. Although it won't markedly lower T4, it should start to reverse the condition and physical changes.

After that, Yi Guan Jian often works well to hinder T4 to T3 conversion, and has resulted in full remission in some animals and humans if the condition is only a few months old.

For some cats, we remove the thyroid nodules surgically, then maintain use of a Rehmannia-based formula afterwards, to prevent reductions in renal perfusion

Hopefully those ideas get you started. Zi Cao Gen is Lithospermum, and can be added to either formula if you are using granular extracts, to gain even more of a clinical benefit

Steve
by citydvm
December 11, 2017
Hi Steve,
thank you for your reply and expertise. This cat also has kidney problems- sent a urinalysis and the specific gravity is 1.018 , Creatinine slightly elevated at 2.8 (normal up to 2.4) and BUN at 43 (normal up to 36).
Given this new information, can I still try Zhi Bai Di Huang Wan first?
and if so, how long before I can switch to Yi Guan Jian- like what signs do I look for ( - pulse change? body score? etc)
Thanks again!
by naturevet
December 11, 2017
Either one will support renal function, so as soon as the cat is not too hot, dry and agitated, you can try YGJ. Or use both together if you want

S
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply