Question Details
Epilepsy In A Dog
by Dreudog - December 18, 2017    View Case Report
Hi Steve and group,

This dog is a 5 yr. old SF Min. Schnauzer. She was adopted thru rescue summer of 2016 - her previous owners were planning to euthanize dT her frequent seizures. She also has had struvite crystalluria and a mild pruritus (season unclear). And a cough/retch that occurs ~ 1-2 X per week. No workup since so mild and non- progressive.

She was given Phenobarb and Zonisamide by her rDVM - seizures continued every couple weeks, but improved on ^ PB dose (good blood levels at that time). I met Pollee October of 2016 and asked the owner to start home cooked diet w/ limited proteins. On exam, she was quiet, sweet, BCS 3.5/5. Pulse; middle- deeper, toned. A few weeks later we started TMGTY and DGSYS.

Over time, Pollee would still seizure if exposed to certain foods (chicken, gluten) and non- seasonally. So I switched her to BXBZTMT, kept the TMGTY. Her blood levels of PB this summer were good at 26.2.

So, her seizures definitely reduced in frequency on the cooked diet and she has had some remaining that appear to be food related, a couple that were unexplained.

I'm wondering if we can do better? We tried dropping her PB dose, which resulted in a seizure cluster last spring. (liver season, right? Maybe not the best time to try ! LOL).

Thanks !!!

Cathy L.

Forgot to mention that her seizures almost always occur b/t 1:30- 5:30 AM.
Replies
by naturevet
December 21, 2017
Hi Cathy,

A Dampness approach seems in order given the time of aggravation (during Tai Yin excess); the crystalluria; and the responsiveness to diet change

Clusters of frequent severe seizures generally suggest the goal is a long term reduction of neuronal integration, by inhibiting matrix metalloproteinase activity. The herbs that usually do that are drying and cooling herbs, such as in Si Miao San.

I'd consider giving that a try. Note that the BXBZTMT may work against you in that regard, so if you haven't seen any benefits from it, maybe try going in the opposite direction and using Si Miao San

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply