Question Details
Chronic/Recurrent Upper Respiratory Infection In An Older Rabbit
by bunnydoc - December 27, 2017
Hello and Happy Holiday Season,
I was hoping to get advice on an 8 year old castrated male rabbit who has a chronically recurrent upper respiratory infection. The infection has been off and on again for just over a year.
The upper respiratory infection produces thick white nasal discharge primarily with a small amount of ocular discharge.
A culture of the material was collected by performing a nasal lacrimal duct flush which grew a scant amount of a nonfermeter species (the lab was unable to further identify). However, it is supposed to be sensitive to all antibiotics listed including trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole, enrofloxacin, chloramphenicol and tobramycin which have all been used with some improvement, but no resolution.
These medications have been used both orally and in some cases within an ocular combination with acetylcystein.
In addition to this issue, the rabbit has had bilateral hind limb paresis and generalized muscle wasting over the dorsum/pelvis and hind limbs since 2015. Radiographs at that time showed no signs of lesions/tumor and Ecuniculi was suspected (with a titter performed that was unsupportive of this).
The owners (self prescribed) have recently started the rabbit on San Ren Teng 1/4 tablet q12hr. This was not prescribed by our clinic and I wanted to reach out to see if this herb is ok in this situation and if not, what would be recommended.
Thank you for your help.
Replies
by naturevet
December 28, 2017
Hi Bunnydoc,

The San Ren Tang is superficially indicated here, given the upper respiratory infection and paresis. However, the main problem is probably an immuno-suppressive state, as evidenced by a concomitant chronic URTI and a protozoan CNS infection.

Knowing that, a better formula to use in tandem (or instead) might be Minor Bupleurum (Xiao Chai Hu Tang). If using granules, you can add 12g Gui Zhi (Cinnamon) and 15g Bai Shao (Peony) to help expel the Wind pathogens, which Chinese medicine would well view as attacking both areas.

This formula doesn't taste too bad (as long as rabbits like Cinnamon), but if it has to be administered rather than fed freely, I'd at least use the liquid version (Harmonize the Qi) with the San Ren Tang. You won't be able to augment it, and so in that instance, you'll be relying on SRT to expel the Wind pathogen

Hope that helps you out! Let us know how it goes!

Steve
by bunnydoc
December 30, 2017
Hi Steve,
Thank you for your response. I just wanted to clarify.
If I have a bottle of Minor Bupleurum I can add 12g of Gui Zhi and 15g Bai Shao?
Is the Gui Zhi a particular type of cinnamon or can this be an organic quality cinnamon?
I was having difficulty looking up the Harmonize the Qi in our Essential guide to Chinese herbal formulas. Is this also listed under a different name?
Thanks again,
Julie
by naturevet
December 30, 2017
Hi Julie,

Harmonize the Qi is a liquid and tablet version of Minor Bupleurum made by Kan Herb. You can get it through naturvet@telus.net. Since it's a brand name, it's not in the textbook, but the Minor Bupleurum discussion applies to it.

naturvet@telus.net can also supply those additives, which can be combined with Minor Bupleurum granular extracts (such as Natural Path's). Gui Zhi is Cinnamon twigs, whereas the version sold in stores is tree bark. Sounds the same but their properties are actually quite different from a medical perspective.

Hope that answers your questions

Happy New Year, Julie!

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply