Question Details
Possible Eosinophilic Gastroenteritis In A Dog UPDATE
by rcooper - December 31, 2017    View Case Report
I posted almost a year ago about my GSD, Ben. He was confirmed to have it and it took about 7 months of strict protocol, deworming, home cooked food, etc. Recovery was slow. I was dreading the need for pred., scoping, etc

But something fascinating happened and would like any opinions from the forum. Although technically better during the protocol he looked like he could tip...tentative appetite, still some vomiting, inability to gain weight. Good days and bad days.

I heavily researched and found a connection between mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS) & EG. A very small amount of research in dogs, more in human GI syndromes.

I had a full bottle of a natural antihistamine w/quercetin, rutin, and luteolin.
When put on this there was a fast and complete turnaround.

I transitioned to a low novel protein kibble, but had run out of the antihistamine for approx. A month.

He flat out developed strong PU/PD symptoms. Even urinating in the house. Thirst was insatiable. Thinking it was the low protein food I switched to higher prot. Kibble. Same symptoms for another month.

On a hunch I started him on benadryl while I ordered the product again.
One third improvement. On the correct dose of the original product, 100 percent resolution.

If I am stingy on the dose his PU/PD starts to return.

So...Mast cell degranulation is an emerging topic in medicine.
Treating w/ an H1, H2 blocker and mast cell stabilizer...could this be an answer to many issues? Ben was always an allergy prone dog. Possibly stress brought on a full blown attack.

I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Rose

Any research in veterinary medicine on MCAS?
Replies
by naturevet
January 3, 2018
Hi Rose,

One thing I can add here - quercetin is a known mast cell stabilizer, so that may explain why he did better on that product than on an antihistamine.

Your dog has responded particularly well to the protocol, based upon my experience. Normally a more complex intervention is needed (e.g. natural diet + herbs + quercetin) to get the kind of outcomes you're experiencing. Congratulations!

Steve
by rcooper
February 27, 2019
I'm presenting a new case for my cat, but am updating you on Ben, my GSD with eosinophilic gastroenteritis. After a year of giving him a natural ( and inexpensive) antihistamine with mast cell stabiliizing and blocking properties containing quercetin & rutin twice a day he is a CURED CASE!!

No hydrolyzed special food ( $100 per 8 days), no vet visits for it, no pred, no symptoms at all.

Thanks for letting me bend your ears!
by naturevet
March 1, 2019
That's fabulous news! Good job and thanks for updating us

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply