Question Details
Elevated Liver Enzymes In A Dog
by johnnalsmith - January 3, 2018    View Case Report
Frisbee is a 14 year old, MN, dachshund that presented to me for acupuncture for IVDD between T10-L4. He had previously had acupuncture at a different clinic, but the doctor there left so he came to me. His tongue was red and his pulse was on the thin side. His back is doing great, but reviewing his lab work from the previous vet, I noticed that his liver enzymes were slightly elevated. He is currently taking milk thistle and SAMe for this. ALP 301 (normal 5-160), ALT 175 (normal 18-121), AST 69 (normal 16-55), GGT 8 (normal 0-13). I vaguely remember learning that if the values are elevated, but not significantly this is blood deficiency. Given that he's a dachshund and the thin pulse it makes sense. However, his tongue is red and he has a voracious appetite. He will eat ANYTHING if it hits the ground (buttons, meds, etc.). No major digestive issues as far as vomiting and diarrhea go. Thirst is normal. Otherwise, pretty healthy boy. Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Replies
by naturevet
January 4, 2018
Hi there,

For combined Blood and Yin deficiency with Stomach Fire boosting the appetite, I'd try Yi Guan Jian first

Tonifying Blood and Yin should make the dog a little less vulnerable to future disc disease episodes, too

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply