Question Details
Seizures
by Elise - January 28, 2018
Hello. I am checking to see anyone is having good results with CBD hemp oil and seizures. My patient is a 1.5 year old spayed female Westie. She has always been a reactive dog but I’ve rthe past 5-6 months she has been having ‘ nightmares’ with aggressive barking, snarling, snapping from after midnight to early morning, sometimes 5-6 episodes a night and occasional episodes when asleep during the day. She wakes up suddenly in full fight mode and nor seeming to be present or awareness of her owners for a few seconds then respond she to their voices and calms down and is her normal sweet (reactive) self. We tried Happy Traveler , reducing protein in diet from Orijen to Canidae, and Melatonin with little effect. Second opinion with a neurologist: diagnosis primary idiopathic epilepsy. I have started her on Tian Ma Gou Tang Yin (Natural Path Herbs) with good effect , we are cautiously optimistic. I increased her dose from 1/4 teaspoon to 1/2 teaspoon and after two days she had vomiting and mucus covered stools, so have reduced to 1/3 teaspoon. Any recommendations to add in CBD oil?
Many thanks,
Elise
Replies
by naturevet
January 28, 2018
Hi Elise,

While I can't comment on the CBD oil, I wanted to mention that Ban Xia Bai Zhu Tian Ma Tang is a consideration in the dogs with nausea and mucousy emesis and stools. It has Tian Ma as well, just like the TMGTY, so may have the same anticonvulsant benefits as what you're seeing. Just a thought in case these signs persist

If it did help, then it would suggest food allergy, especially to grains, as a potential cause of the seizures

As to CBD, I don't see any reason not to try it while you're exploring these other options. Meanwhile, continued good luck

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply