Question Details
Cutaneous Epitheliotropic Lymphosarcoma In A Dog
by sara.baldey - March 25, 2018    View Case Report
Hi,

Here is a little background on my patient (sorry if its a bit lengthy)..

Jackson is an 11 year old, Male, neutered, English Staffy. I am seeing him for supportive care for Cutaneous Eiptheliotrophic Lymphomasarcoma, recently diagnosed by the primary Vet via histopathology. He is currently on 40mg prednisolone sid and 40ml safflower oil, twice a week , as prescribed by the primary Vet. The owner says the prednisolone has helped a lot already. The owner has begun feeding home prepared meals and will start vitamin A supplementation soon. Jackson has been well in himself, eating/drinking, urinating/defaecating normally. He has a history of two previous surgeries, both to remove cutaneous mast cell tumors.

On presentation Jackson had sparse, patchy alopecia over his dorsum and flanks. His skin also felt like there were multiple, small, subcutaneous lumps predominantly over his dorsum. There was erythema extending from his medial thighs, ventral abdomen and thorax to his axillae. There were also occasional small (1cm), dark pink, alopecic plaque-like lesions through his coat. He was hot to touch, all over.
The tongue was pink/purple with a small amount of tacky saliva, but the mouth was not moist. There was a small peeled area close to the central tongue. The pulse was deep, slow, and not toned, though with reasonable amplitude. Back shu points that he responded to were BL16, BL17, BL19, BL26, BL27, and also GB30. (Acupuncture was not performed, due to all the little lumps under his skin).

This is the first cancer patient I am treating. I was planning to give Chai Hu Jia Long Gu Mu Li Tang, or is there a better choice for this patient? I am very grateful for your guidance with this case.

Many thanks, in advance,
Sara
Replies
by naturevet
March 26, 2018
Hi Sara,

We've recently started to use Qing Ying Tang as an anti-cancer formula. I think of it when:

• The body is hot

• The dorsum is alopecic

• There is evidence of Yin deficiency (such as the peeled tongue)

• There is evidence of stasis, in the form of a darker or purplish discoloration of the tongue and lesions

• Shao Yang points are active and helpful, such as BL 19 and GB 30, as well as Blood points like BL 17

Given the above, I think you are clear to give Qing Ying Tang a try here. Blood Heat is actually a Shao Yang disharmony condition, say some of the classics, and that is my experience, too. So you could even team it up with Minor Bupleurum or CHJLGMLT. The former would be my first choice, given the depth of the pulse.

I'd start with the QYT first, though, since XCHT can be drying and we have a bit of that already. Let the QYT hydrate the patient, then see which Shao Yang formula might work best. Meanwhile, I'd expect a bit of an improvement in the pulse, the erythema, and some of those lumps.

Hope that helps you out

Steve
by sara.baldey
March 26, 2018
Thank you very much, Steve. Your comments are an incredible help. I will keep let you know how things go,
Kind regards,
Sara.
by sara.baldey
March 29, 2018
Hi again,

I have another question, please. There will be a delay on our order for Qing Ying Tang, due to the 4 day long Easter weekend here in Australia. When I spoke Jackson's owner just a couple of days ago, she said that the predinsolone had almost resolved all the redness in Jackson's skin. I am concerned that the Qing Ying Tang may no longer be metaphorically appropriate and that I need to reassess the patient and consider a new formula. Is this the case?
Thank you, in advance.
Kind regards,
Sara.
by naturevet
March 29, 2018
Hi Sara,

Only if prednisone also corrected the tongue, pulse, alopecia, active Shao Yang points, and body heat signs would it essentially have replaced the need for Qing Ying Tang. Usually you will find this is not the case. So I would plan on introducing it even given the response to pred, which is commonly short-lived when given alone, but which simultaneous use of herbs can help sustain

Steve
by sara.baldey
March 30, 2018
Hi Steve,

Thanks again for your help! I will let you know how things go.

Kind regards,
Sara.
by sara.baldey
April 27, 2018
Hi again,

I saw Jackson yesterday. He has been on QYT for 3 weeks now. No latent symptoms from this formula. In the meantime, the primary Vet has reduced his prednisolone dose to 10mg eod, which he is still on. This is because Jackson's appetite and panting were excessive. He is also still on safflower supplementation, vit A, D, E supplementation and a home prepared diet.

Jackson has continued to be his normal self. However, the skin lesions have dramatically progressed. There are a multitude of red, papular lesions, predominantly extending from his ventral neck all the way to his pubis. The skin is hot to touch. There is moderately increased alopecia over his flanks and dorsum, and also increased number of subcutaneous lumps over his dorsum. His tongue was dark purple, gums red and the mouth not moist. The left pulse was almost absent, and the right pulse barely stronger. There was no response over his back shu points or alarm points.

I realise its time to add another formula, particularly with a significant reduction in prednisolone and rebounding of his cutaneous symptoms. Should I start Xiao Chai Hu Tang, or conisder another formula? I was brainstorming other options like Long Dan Xie Gan Tang, Hoxsey-Like Combination, or Chai Hu Jia Long Gu Mu Li Tang..

Again, I am very grateful for your advice.
Many thanks,
Sara.
by naturevet
April 28, 2018
Hi Sara,

What acupuncture points is Jackson's pulse responsive to now? This can greatly help us figure out what the next plan of attack should be

Strangely enough, my most recent case of this in a cat appears to be responding to Xiao Huo Luo Dan, although the skin generally remains pink.

We also had success in that cat earlier with Yu Ping Feng San. I would not have gotten to those formulas without noting the exact point and type of stimulation that improves his pulse. If you could obtain that information, it would be really helpful.

Right now the pulse seems a bit weak for all the options you mentioned. Si Miao San is a possibility, though

Steve
by sara.baldey
April 29, 2018
Hi Steve,

Thank you for your swift and helpful reply.

To be honest, I haven't used any acupuncture to treat Jackson (only as a diagnostic tool). His skin is riddled with lesions and so I have been reluctant to needle him. Is it best to needle a few carefully considered points to get a clearer picture of what is going on? If so, can you please suggest some points I can check? If not, I am happy to go ahead with Si Miao San and see how he goes.

Many thanks, again,
Sara.
by naturevet
April 29, 2018
Okay, try that first. If it doesn't work, we'll still have more information
by sara.baldey
April 29, 2018
Thank you, Steve!
by sara.baldey
May 30, 2018
Hi,

I have a final update on Jackson. Jackson was started on Si Miao San, in addition to the Qing Ying Tang. After a day on the Si Miao San the owner reported that he was sad, inappetant, and had a mild episode of diarrhea and one vomit. As a result, the owner decided to stop all treatment and see how Jackson responded. She said he was a much happier boy for not being medicated and for being allowed to eat all his favourite food. After seeing Jackson this way she decided not to continue any further treatment and allow his disease to take its natural course. I totally respected this decision, and understood her reasons for choosing this. She just wanted Jackson to be happy.
Two days ago, Jackson was peacefully euthanased at home by his regular Vet and with his family beside him.
I am very grateful, Steve, for all your guidance with this case. The owner is very appreciative of all the help I could offer Jackson, and I have you to thank for this. I'm sure Jackson sends you a big thank you too!

Kind regards,
Sara.
by naturevet
May 31, 2018
Hi Sara,

Thanks for the update. We're making progress in at least some other types of lymphoma. Maybe we can help with the next one

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply