Question Details
Calcification Of Tendons And Muscles
by Debbie - April 7, 2018
I have a 13.5 yr old male Golden retriever who presented for non weight bearing hind limb lameness. Dog was presumed to have hip dysplasia because he would constantly lick and chew and his hip. When I first saw him he had extensive pyoderma over his R hip and thigh. Radiographs showed his hips were fine but he had severe DJD of his stifles and hocks with proliferative osteophytes and substantive calcification of his achilles and patellar ligaments. The medial and deep gluteals also had extensive calcification - presumably embedded in the connective tissue?

I don't even know where to begin... Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Debbie
Replies
by naturevet
April 9, 2018
Hi Debbie,

Calcification is secondary to hypoxia, which is secondary to reduced and/or disorganized vascularity. That supposition, together with pains and skin lesions that are fixed in position, suggests a Blood stasis problem.

Blood stasis can be aggravated by an underlying Shao Yang disharmony. The Shao Yang organs in Chinese medicine exert an overarching regulatory effect on circulation, by controlling the flow of Yang in and out of the body.

Putting those two things together, I'd start with Xiao CHai Hu Tang (Minor Bupleurum) with Qin Jiao added, which you can find as Benefit Hips and Knees

A second formula to add in would probably be Minor Invigorate the Collaterals (Xiao Huo Luo Dan).

Use both at full doses. You can find dosing advice at the Natural Path website

Acupuncture should help, too, in producing some immediate circulatory benefits. Real food diets (not canned or kibble) undermine the metabolic events that precipitate the vascular changes you are presumably dealing with.

Hope that helps,

Steve
by Debbie
April 9, 2018
Thanks Steve,

You had mentioned once at a lecture I attended about an obscure use for an herb that you used in a German Shepherd with myositis ossificans of the gracilis m. Pokeroot maybe?? I wonder if 'what-ever' that was might also be useful?

Debbie
by naturevet
April 9, 2018
That formula was Hoxsey-like Combination. I wouldn't use it here, though, unless the animal is very Hot and Excessive
by Debbie
April 9, 2018
Definitely not hot or excessive! Thanks.... D
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply