Question Details
Autoimmune Poly Arthritis In A Dog
by henry - April 18, 2018    View Case Report
Wrigley is a young adult Boxer diagnosed with autoimmune polyarthritis. His symptoms are currently being effectively controlled with prednisone and azothiaprine. His owner is taking him with her to a Boxer Specialty (only as an observer) next month and asked if it would be a good idea to start him on Yin Qiao. I thought I would check with you since I am concerned about "locking in the thief" in a dog with a deeper pathogen. Would Yin Qiao be appropriate for this dog? Thanks.
Replies
by naturevet
April 25, 2018
Hi there,

Yin Qiao (San?) doesn't lock in the thief per se, since it does not contain Huang Qi (when formulated properly). It expels Wind Heat. So it is not contraindicated, although it may not work.

One of my personal favourites for immune polyarthropathy if there is overt joint swelling is Yi Yi Ren Tang. I augment it with Qing Hao (Artemisia) to give a decent acute anti-inflammatory effect. You can further enhance the formula in this way by adding Qin Pi (Fraxinus) and Tu Fu Ling (Smilax). If the dog comes across as having a Wind Heat invasion, I'd opt for this version of YYRT if your idea of Yin Qiao San does not pan out

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply