Question Details
Bloody Nasal Discharge
by jjasek - April 13, 2009
Nitro is a 4 year old lab that presented with an ongoing bloody nasal discharge and chronic nasal congestion. Symptoms started suddenly after a hunting trip last fall. Prior to presenting to me, Nitro has been scoped, biopsied, and had mri done, all normal. This dog has audible congestion and will sneeze out blood clots. Otherwise, he eats well(quality grain-free dry) and has good energy. Tongue color is light-lavender. The condition resolves when on prednisone.
Replies
by naturevet
April 14, 2008
Interesting problem. We've found Xue Fu Zhu Yu Tang to be helpful for sneezing out of blood clots. For watery epistaxis, Bu Zhong Yi Qi Tang is helpful. If there is sinus congestion as well, then Xin Yi San (Magnolia Flower Powder) tends to work well, and can be combined with Xue Fu Zhu Yu Tang. Xin Yi San expels Wind invasions from the nose, but in real terms, helps to normalize nasal circulation and eliminate stuffiness. Xue Fu Zhu Yu Tang would help in that regard. If the pulse feels deep and wiry to you, that's what I would do.

If the pulse is very superficial and slippery, we've had good results with Si Miao San. The latter is helpful when there is Heat in the Stomach channel, often caused by general increased tendencies to inflammation, known as Damp Heat in Chinese medicine.

One of those suggestions should work. Let me know if you need more help narrowing it down. The tongue would suggest XFZYT with or without Xin Yi San as a good approach.

Steve
by jjasek
May 19, 2009
Update on Nitro:
Started on XFZYT with some response including decreased congestion and bleeding, though owner still used Temaril-p to control symptoms. o tried to wean him off of Tem-p, and congestion and sneezing blood recurred. Dog is worse after having been outside. He also has a very different presentation this time - much hotter with a brick-red tongue and strong pulses. I am thinking I need to change to a heat mover such as LDXGT, and was wondering about something like Nettles as this dog seems so reactive to outdoor exposure.
Thanks, Judy
by naturevet
May 20, 2009
Hi Judy,

In my first reply, I talked about us having some significant success in nasal bleeding with Si Miao San. With the strong heat signs, I'd go there next. Typically dogs that benefit from Si Miao San for nasal bleeding will have a pulse that benefits from sedating ST 36, 37 or 41. That is a way you could test whether the formula will work. It's anti-inflammatory, like the pred, so it might do a better job of allowing him to get off it.

Thanks for updating us on the case!

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply