Question Details
Lymphoma In A Goat
by havibest - April 18, 2009
I will be seeing a goat with lymphoma tomorrow for the first time. He is getting chemotherapy. How do I modify any herbs I may perscribe to adjust for the chemo? Any suggestions as to the dietary changes I miht make to get him on the very bestdiet possible. I don't usually treat goats so I can use any help I can get. I assume I will approach the case the same way I would on a cat or dog, evaluate the pulse and tongue and ask the important questions but is there a specific herbal treatment protocol that I should be aware of? Thanks for any imput.
Replies
by naturevet
April 19, 2009
Hi there,

Sorry I missed replying to this before you saw your patient. But you were right - just approach it as you would a dog or cat. What did you find out? Anything to share? If he's on chemo already, the dominant picture that usually shows itself is the side effect of chemo. Chemo is very cooling, so this is usually some sort of deficiency. Whatever it is, you address that until the chemo is over and done. At that point, if the dynamic that caused the cancer is still present, you'll start to see signs of the Chinese medical diagnosis associated with it - usually Damp Heat, Blood Stasis or Triple Burner obstruction. For lymphoma, it's usually that severe Damp Heat state plus occasionally Triple Burner obstruction. Let me know if you have anything to add that would help me help you.

All the best,

Steve
by havibest
April 19, 2009
Hi Steve, Thanks for the reply. What a great thing you are offering with this forum. Thank you. Yes I saw this wonderful goat today. He is friendly, curious, and ate part of my notes I was writing. This is what I saw: pale, pale tongue, very weak pulses (hard to even find), prefers warm sun, very rapid pulse (rate was 140). He felt warm to me over GB points,29 and 30.
History of mass behind left eye which was removed and biopsied. Mets on liver,diaphragm, and bladder. Also has history of urinary stones and is on Ammonium chloride depending on urine ph which is tested daily by owners. So, I wanted to put him on Xiao Chai Hu Jia Yu Jin Tang because of the eye involvement pointing to liver and because of heat over GB points, but I only had Xiao Chai Hu Jia Qin Jiao Tang. I also put him on Hoxsey-Like formula to help treat the underlaying damp-heat and milkthistle for added liver support. Do you think I am off base with the XCHJQJT? I'm having second thoughts. Should I add turmeric?Suzanne
by naturevet
April 20, 2009
Hi Suzanne,

I like your thinking. A Minor Bupleurum formula is just what I would have done. I think it's fine as well to start with the XCHJQJT. If you're on the right track, the goat will respond. My only concern is using the Hoxsey right at this moment. He seems quite deficient and the formula is very cold and draining. Watch for any loss of appetite or loose stools that could indicate the formula is too strong for him just yet. Milk thistle is another good choice. Minor Bupleurum formulas are okay for weak patients because the help restore the formation of Source Qi and contain Ginseng. If he's really weak, you could always add more Ginseng. If you'd like to put some turmeric in his food, that's fine, too. Good luck and let me know how it goes!
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply