Question Details
Seasonal Skin Allergies
by KitLee - May 10, 2009
Hi Dr. Marsden,
I am dealing with a young collie mix dog who has just started chewing and scratching at his legs and belly. The skin is not inflamed and no primary lesions are present. He did the same thing last spring, as well, but was supplemented with fish oil or flax seed at the time. I was thinking of using the Si Miao San, but if he is showing no signs other than itchiness, would it be too strong? His tongue is pink, maybe a little pale lavender with a bit of a pale white coating on it ( sorry, not really sure how to describe it ). He is otherwise in good physical condition. We would like to avoid treatment with steroids.
I think what he needs is something to clear heat. Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks, Kit
Replies
by naturevet
May 10, 2008
Hi Kit,

It's nice for you to be seeing a skin dog early on. They're that much easier to treat.

Checking the response to omega 3 fatty acids is a good first effort. If there is an excellent response and no resultant coat greasiness, we know the dog is 'blood deficient' from a Chinese point of view, and that the itch may be as much a dryness issue. If the added oil results in an oily coat, then we know the dog is more prone to Damp Heat and that overt inflammatory tendencies are just gearing up.

The tongue still suggests more of a deficiency picture. Given the early onset, food allergies are a distinct possibility. Has that been explored yet? I'd move toward a higher protein lower carb diet, which tends to treat both of the above differentials. Any soft stool tendencies? The ventral lesion distribution suggests this case will end up being a Spleen deficiency, Dampness, Damp Heat case - i.e. a food allergy case or at least a problem where the inflammation is propagated by diet.

One formula consistent with your tongue interpretation, the early stage of the disorder, and the possible role of diet is Chu Shi Wei Ling Tang (Modified Wei Ling Tang; K'an has yet another name for it). Two confirmatory traits that would make me give this first: (1) The dog enjoys warmth; and (2) the pulse is a little on the deep and maybe wiry side. If these are true and the stool has had a tendency to be soft from time to time, that's where I'd start. Its skin anti-inflammatory traits are mild but significant over time and its GI anti-inflammatory (and thus gut-sealing) effects pretty substantial.

So that's my initial advice. Even though, once we get the dog on the right protocol, improvement should be rapid, it may take a few weeks to sort out what the dog really needs given the limited findings. As long as the owner is cool with that, your dream of avoiding prednisone should come true!

Steve
by KitLee
May 10, 2009
Steve,

Actually from what I've been told this dog seems to find it too warm (not surprised, he has a really thick collie coat)

He is eating the Eukanuba large breed maintenance, and has been on this diet for several months. The signs only began in the past 1 - 2 weeks. Not quite sure about the tongue colour, it may actually be the type of lighting in this room!
There has never been any complaint about diarrhea or soft stool except when he's been into something he shouldn't have eaten. No GI problems reported at all.
Would you still try the Chu shi wei ling tang in that case?

thanks, Kit
by naturevet
May 10, 2009
What kind of pulse are we looking at, then?

S
by KitLee
May 11, 2009
I'm sorry, I'm not trained in TCM. I would describe the pulse as being strong and "deep" ( I hope it makes sense).
I can't seem to occlude it with any reasonable pressure. I had a look at the tongue under different light, and it is actually a light pink with what is likely a white coating ( the centre of the tongue is paler than the edges ).
The tongue does not look swollen or cracked on the top.
Kit
by naturevet
May 11, 2009
Hi Kit,

Your pulse description was perfect, thanks.

So here's what I'd do. Try a fish oil supplement for a week or two. If the itch drops significantly, the dog is Blood deficient. I would then use Si Wu Xiao Feng Yin and a higher protein diet to prevent recurrences and 'seal the deal'.

If the coat gets a little oily on the fish oil, I'd go with the Chu Shi Wei Ling Tang and reduce the carb content of his diet.

Hope that works well for you. Let us know how it goes!

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply