Question Details
Xiao Chai Hu Tang/feline Pancreatitis-azotemia
by
Patient is a 12 yr MC hyperthyroid DSH that first presented 3 years ago when the cat developed mild azotemia. The owner's goal was to preserve the Kidneys. The cat receives 2.5 methimazole BID, 100 cc SQ LRS twice weekly. I have treated the Kidney deficiency with AP q2-4 weeks, duck/chicken canned food. It won't eat or vomits fish. When I first started with this cat, I did not know that renal inflammation could be reduced by treating the Spleen/Damp, so he maintained normal renal parameters with Er Xian Tang. Interestingly, the cat developed pancreatitis 6 months ago, initially responding well to Shu Gan Formula and Jian Pi Wan. Maintenance formulas have bee Wei Ling Tang, Er Xian tang and Corydalis Formula. He has gained weight, with minimal vomiting. He did well through a dental prophylaxis 2 months ago, but lately has started showing slowly progressive azotemia. Change to BWDHW, creatinine rose from 2.3 to 2.5. Went back to Er Xian tang, combined with Wei Ling Tang and Corydalis formula and the creatinine yesterday was 2.8. His abdomen is tense again. Weight is down by 5 oz, with 3 episodes of vomiting. Tongue is swollen lavender,slimy wet, slight yellow coating. Right GB34 sl spongy, no other reactive points. Although I think that the Spleen Qi deficiency, Damp is the source of azotemia/renal inflammation (hyperthyroidism), I am afraind to discontinue the Er Xian Tang. I was thinking of discontinuing Corydalis formula and substituting Xiao Chai Hu Tang, but the cat won't take NP XCHT, and I can't find a pill form in K'an Herbs (hard to find Minor Bupleurum as all the names are descriptive and not pin yin).
I think there is Spleen Qi deficiency, Dmap/Phlegm, Liver Qi stagnation, with Kidney Damp/Heat or Qi deficiency. Would Xiao Yao San be a better choice? Maybe San Ren Tang/Xiao Yao San? Help me Mister Wizard.....
Replies
by naturevet
May 11, 2009
Hi Jodi,

That tongue sure sounds like the classic San Ren Tang tongue. No need to take chances if you're worried what will happen upon discontinuing a formula. Just roll in the new one (SRT) and see what the effect is. If things really improve, you'll feel more secure about simplifying your protocol. San Ren Tang is available in pill versions. The ideal Xiao Chai Hu Tang in pill form for renal failure animals with renal inflammation is Benefit the Hips and Knees, also made by K'an Veterinary Essentials. Note that many cats enjoy liquid San Ren Tang from K'an. It seems unusually palatable to felines. Thank goodness something is.

S
by
May 11, 2009
Thanks, Steve. I have Benefit the Hips and Knees-I forget it is Xiao Chai Hu Tang. My idea is more Benefit the San Jiao and Gallbladder. Is there a way to make my own ticture of these?
by naturevet
May 11, 2009
Hi Jodi,

Adding Qin Jiao to XCHT makes it extremely potent against renal inflammation. That happens to be the herb added to XCHT to make Benefit Hips and Knees. If there's a more potent spin on XCHT for renal azotemia, I haven't seen it.

Good luck!

S
by
May 11, 2009
Guess I should have looked at the formula more closely. What I wanted actually was XCHT plus Qin Jiao, but I did not have the single herb in the hospital to add. I guess benefit Hips and Knees makes sense in that TH ostruction causes HQW, and so does Kidney deficiency. Got it. Think I'll try San Ren Tang first, but I have both of those K'an formulas now. Thanks again. No need to reply.
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply