Question Details
Preputial Discharge
by ericahawker - May 13, 2009
Steve-

I know I asked you about this at the last module, but I can't find my notes.

I have recently seen several young large breed MN dogs with yellow-green preputial discharge. Some respond to cephalexin for 2 weeks, others respond well then relapse once the antibiotics are done. I remember antibiotics are cooling, and colored exudates are signs of heat. If I recall you mentioned that these are a sign of damp heat. Would Si Miao San work best?

I just saw a 5 yr old MN Boxer this morning that responded well to a 3 week course of cephalexin, but then the discharge returned once the meds were finished. He has a history of mast cell tumors (grade 1-completely excised) but I aspirated a new, small intradermal mass on his hock today also.

I thought about using Si Miao San, but this dog doesn't show overt signs of damp heat. He has a great appetite, softer but formed stools, yet does not like the cold, rain, or snow.

Thanks for your help-
Erica
Replies
by naturevet
May 13, 2009
Hi Erica,

I have commonly seen these dogs to be Blood deficient, despite the preputial discharge. This fits with the grade I mast cell tumor. From a western point of view, both conditions are potential byproducts of reduced peripheral immunity because of reduced peripheral circulation. If the dog's ears or paws are coolish, or the dog exhibits anxiety or timidity, then that would be enough to convince me to try out a Blood formula. Given the mast cell tumor, you could go with Xue Fu Zhu Yu Tang. This does a good job of increasing peripheral blood flow.

As a side note, the penis and inguinal region are associated with the Liver in Chinese medicine. The Liver needs an adequate Blood supply to be healthy, explaining why Liver Blood deficiency is showing up with a preputial problem. The good response to antibiotics followed by rapid recurrence is also consistent with Blood deficiency.

As long as the dog does not have a tendency to soft stools, the Xue Fu Zhu Yu Tang should be fine to try.

Good luck!

Steve
by ericahawker
May 13, 2009
The dog does have softer but formed stools. Still try the Xue Fu Zhu Yu Tang?

And for dogs that exhibit these signs without history of MCTs, would you still use XFZYT?

Thanks Steve!
Erica
by naturevet
May 13, 2009
Hi again,

I guess go slow on the XFZYT and see if it's well tolerated. Another option is Dang Gui Shao Yao San. If the dog had no history of MCT, I'd probably have recommended that one first.

Have fun!

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply