Question Details
Feline Hyperthyroidism
by todd - May 13, 2009
Hi Steve,
'Am seeing a cat with 14.4 T4, noT3 tested yet but will. Has classic signs of excess thirst, appetite, occas' vomiting, restlessness/agitation. There is a 1 cm palpable thyroid mass. The tongue is very wet, red, a bit swollen. No Phlegm. Pulses rapid and strong and somewhat thin. Cat also had recent UTI and crystals. Would you advise starting on wei Ling Tang, or Wen Dan Tang. I have used alot of ZBDHW on other hyper-t4 cats, but they all had very dry Tongues. I have not used Wen Dan Tang and am concerned re-bitterness. Also, I believe it is the T3 that will change on the bloodwork. Correct? If you advise MDT or other formula, would you be looking to get cat eventually to WLT ? Thanks a ton in advance...hope all is well...gotta go! Todd Metcalf Arizona
Replies
by naturevet
May 13, 2009
Hi Todd,

Hope you can read this after your computer malfunction!

Yes, I would go with modified Wen Dan Tang, although I just sent a cat home yesterday on San Ren Tang. My first prescription of that formula for hyperthyroidism, so I don't have any feedback for you. But if you want to try it, it's milder tasting than modified Wen Dan Tang. The only problem with that is the size of the tumor. My cat's was just a tiny bleb, which means that it could feasibly shrink and resolve itself once the gut is sealed up. If the tumor on your cat is substantial, then WDT is more appropriate, as it appears to block T4 to T3 conversion (at least partially) as part of its effects. This would theoretically result in T4 continuing to climb on re-evaluation, but T3 coming down and proportionately much less high.

Hopefully that gives you guidance. You appear to have all the answers already!

Steve
by todd
May 13, 2009
Hi Steve,
For your sake, yeah I hope the computer is better,too! You getting my message 15 times15times15times....just kidding......anyway, do you have a source of the Wen Dan Tang?? Thanks! Todd
by todd
May 14, 2009
Steve, I am not sure if I am using the program corrrectly. Did you get my reply to your reply? Todd
by todd
May 14, 2009
Steve, I am not sure if I am using the program corrrectly. Did you get my reply to your reply? Todd
by todd
May 14, 2009
Oh my god Steve you'll never get rid of me. Did you factor in ninnies when you designed this? What I meant to ask was, do you have the formula in a liquid extract? Thanks again, Todd
by naturevet
May 14, 2009
Hi Todd,

Unfortunately, we only have the formula in powder form. If it's tough to administer, some practitioners have explored the concept of dissovling a teaspoon or two in 50 ml of spring water and essentially potentizing it, as discussed at the AHVMA in Reno last October during Karen's lecture. They feel it works well, but I always feel it's important to try the full dose first.

If you do go the potentized herbal formula route, make sure to have the owner refrigerate it, dose about 0.5 ml TID, refill it after 21 days (or make a new batch themselves if you trust the to do it right), and succuss it on the palm of their hand before drawing up each dose.

If you try that technique, be sure to let us know how it goes!

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply