Question Details
Liver Mass
by jcrook - May 13, 2009
”Casey” is a 10 yo FS G Shep X weighing it at a hefty 72 pounds. In September of 2006 I incompletely removed a grade I MCT from underneath the muscle at her right Li 11. Since then she has been on Vitamin A 500,ooo once a month by mouth, Fish oils, XFZYT (at variable consistency). She is on grain free canned and dry. She had one cruciate repaired May 2, 2008 and is getting the other done May 20 of this year. On the pre-surgical bloods we have an alk phos of 874, a low cholesterol (2.63), a mild monocytosis, an increased rbc (8.3) with microcytosis and her ultrasound demonstrated a large hyperechoic liver. Both adrenals are at the upper end of normal size.
Any thoughts for us herbally? How do you handle20the Spleen issues (that is how I interpret the lumps, the Dampness in her organs ) without aggravating the Blood Def (MCT)???
Replies
by naturevet
May 13, 2009
Hi Janice,

Liver enlargement has only a few TCM differentials. One is Damp Heat. Another is Blood stasis. A third is stasis in the Triple Burner. Do you feel the dog is leaning towards Cushing's, given the large adrenals? If so, and if the dog is hefty, then I'd go with Si Miao San. You can cover the Blood deficiency angle by simply adding Dang Gui (Angelica sinensis), about 20g of granular extract per 100g of base formula (assuming you're also using a granular extract of that).

Hope that's what you're looking for!

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply