Question Details
Liver Abscess Or Tumor
by jcrook - May 13, 2009
”Phoenix” is a very interesting case. I asked you about her last September (and followed your recommendations). She is a 15 year old Lab cross in pretty good shape that we have been using ultrasound to monitor a presumed liver abscess as it has shrunk since last September, 2008. On the last ultrasound they saw reactive liver all around the hepatic abscess (which is now 1.2 x 1.4 cm down from 4 x 6.1cm). There is concern that this may be a hepatic carcinoma, however she has an alt of 61 and her alk phos is 63 (When the abscess was found she had an alk phos of 0, and alt of 2200, a wbc of 21 and monocytosis). So perhaps this is merely regenerative liver response to the resorbing abscess. Can we help her with that herbally ? I have used XCHT since last Fall as she does badly with drugs (Flagyl and Amoxil made her centrally ataxic). She is also on a homemade diet, vit A and milk thistle. And she has had the very past history of Leptosporosis. Her attitude is great. My feeling is that I have been hammering away at her TB and Gb Qi and may20need to give her more support (Spleen?). I have most recently added digestive enzymes (probiotics and FOS) to her routine while we await your pearls of wisdom.
Replies
by naturevet
May 13, 2009
Hi Janice,

I guess if she were my case, I'd be hesitant to change anything just based on the ultrasound findings, especially when they could equally be interpreted as good rather than bad. Are you brave enough to do an ultrasound guided fine needle aspirate, or is the cell layer too thin. In the absence of any concrete symptoms and signs of problems, I'd hold off making changes. Was there a particular symptom left outstanding, besides what you're seeing in the ultrasound? If not, I would be hesitant to make changes, apart from giving Milk Thistle, which has been shown to stimulate hepatocyte regeneration.

Let me know if there is something going on now that specifically concerns you besides the ultrasound.

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply